Page/Zeppelin - How much of that tone is D.I.?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ECase, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ECase

ECase Member

I was listening to Physical Graffiti yesterday, and I really was struck with how many of the tones sounded like they were Fuzz + straight into the board.

I know that there's a lot discussed about his live rig, but do any of the tone hounds out there have any insight as to how much of the recorded stuff -- ESPECIALLY SOLOS -- is simply direct? (Seems to me a lot of the mid- to late stuff has that quality).

Looking forward to the insight!

2. zep41

zep41 Member

Black Dog you can just tell. Plus in and interview Page verified its straight fuzz into the board.

Which songs do you hear this on in PG? I hear some fuzz on a couple tracks but it sounds like its thru an amp rather than direct.

3. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

Well a decent chunk of LZII was supposedly recorded using some Vox solid state amps.

I believe the solo to Good Times Bad Times was DI, but I'm not aware of anything on PG that was straight in.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'd heard that most of LZII was done with Page's touring rig at the time.

5. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I used to have an old tape deck (all tube) in the 60's that got that fuzzy tone on Black Dog direct in. You'd just over saturate the tape and it sounded really mellow. I didn't even think about that tone until now. OMG! I was onto something without even knowing it. I had no idea how to put it into a context back then.

So I'm going to chime in and say that it's possible that was a direct sound.

6. joseph

joseph Member

The solo on Good times bad times - that's just such a tremendous track, Bonham's rhythm and syncopation, never heard anyone duplicate it (including him)- the solo's thru a leslie.
    Although how many more times does have that 'direct' sound, it could be a small cranked tube amp (valco, etc) both close-mic'd and room mic'd.
    He did that a lot.

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

how does JP set his delay to get that subtle musical "bloom" to his solo sound?
    sorry 'bout the hijack.

8. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

very interesting,thanks.

9. JDW3

JDW3 Member

So, which amp was used for The Lemon Song? Which sounds exactly like the lead guitar tone for Traveling Riverside Blues? Love that tone. Always figured a small amp cranked.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

People are posting in another thread how much more interesting the threads used to be here and why can't we just bring those back.

11. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

interesting. I learned that "bloom" comes from delay :idea

12. JonRock

JonRock Member

I have listened to LZ and others for so many years and just enjoyed the overall music without trying to hyper analyze the tones etc

Lately I have been doing more of my own recording etc so am listening with more focus on tones etc. Then I heard this song for the millionth time and was just floored by the lead tone.

at first u think "yeah, whatever, front pickup with lots of reverb." But it does sound like some of it is DI also

13. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I'd like to learn how to do this with pedals.

14. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

No Quarter sounds totally DI to me. Even the lead sounds like a Les Paul to tape totally clean.

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

You can get older and more inconsequential threads!!!

16. JPF

JPF Member

II've always wondered how JP got that bubbling fuzz sound on the main riff - I can't get it no matter how I set my Fuzz Factory...

17. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

"Bubbling" is the perfect way to describe it, JPF! :)

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

wow, it sounds like the exact opposite to me, like he was playing guitar through a leslie cab!

come to think of it, while the main riffs to black dog were supposedly direct into clipping board channel, the solo there sounds like leslie cab too.

if at all possible, we need to listen to these again from the new remasters that are just coming out, the sonic detail in them is shocking.

19. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I've copped that tone with a Caroline Kilobyte. I set up an incredibly short slap back and turn up the repeats gain so it's breaking up with my through signal.