1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Page's Vintage Herco Picks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sideways Down, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Sideways Down

Sideways Down Member

After reading some posts regarding Page's vintage pick of choice, I can perhaps lend some insight.

Working on 48th steet some years ago, I stumbled upon a stash of older Herco picks in one of the drawers at the accesory counter while looking for a customers order of imprint picks. I had a friend that worked across the street that had told me many months before to see if the store I was in had old stock of "The Jimmy Page Pick". My friend was able to give an accurate physical description of the pick, yet the new Hercos never met the reguirements.

The Hercos I found that day were of a different composite, as well as geometrically divergent from the Hercos we stocked at the time. Dunlop had not bought the name yet.

I am holding one of these aforementioned "Page Picks", and if you can appreciate the sublte differences, then you might understand why these picks were constiently sought by J.P..

Both sides of the pick have circles of the same size, and "point-down" the first side reads THIN while the other side must be turned upsidedown to read the embossed Herco label with an eigth note through the letter "R".
    The only grip on the pick exists within this raised Herco lettering.

The non-pointed edge of the pick is not rounded like a typical Fender 351, or the later production Dunlops, yet is much more squared. Overall the pick is slightly larger than later production, while the point shape remains typical.

This pick is not Nylon, nor does it have that annoying fuzz around the edges. It returns to shape and is less brittle than a celluloid of equal thickness; click-factor present.

The raised circle on both sides seem in the perfect position for the thumb, and the more they wear the better they sound.

The color of the pick is white, but in dim lights might appear grey. Certainly a part of the Page equation.

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

The Flex 50 is my favourite pick, keep going back to it. Pete Townsend also liked Herco Flex 50's.

3. uberpict

uberpict Member

4. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Want to sell me one? :)

5. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Pics are not necessary. I am using my imagination.
    Wow those picks looks awesome.
    Look at that texture and consistency.
    Wow - thanks for posting.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the old Herco's WERE nylon, but maybe just a different formulation. There's a lot of different nylon mixtures.

Al

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

Very cool info; I have some of the later versions of the Herco picks where the round logo was only on one side and the other side had a different pattern. Also, these are shaped more like a typical Fender 351. I have a couple of the "thins" which are gold and one "medium" which is grey. I always thought the grey one was the "Page pick" based on old magazine articles, so I had to have one back in the day - but I typically preferred to use the thinner gold picks.

I don't use them anymore unless I pull out my old "first good guitar" as they just seem to fit better with it than what I typically use. I quit playing for about 5 years in the late 1980s/early 1990s; when I came back I started using Dunlop nylon picks instead and never went back to the Hercos.

8. MrBoZiffer

MrBoZiffer Senior Member

I've got a hold of a special brand of vintage shoelaces that Page wore on his sneakers while practicing guitar. If you could see these shoelaces you'd know why he desired them for his shoes. They tie just right and allow your feet to tap with the beat of the song without any discomfort.

9. Sideways Down

Sideways Down Member

To each their own, shoelaces in Mr. Bo' case, but these Hercos that Page uses and currently seeks, are much different than any 351 sized pick I have come across. Terry McInturff had a post not to long ago , and wondered what picks that Page's tech had been actively looking for. Out of production for quite some time, I personally use Fender medium 351's. But....

10. surfshack

surfshack Member

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I use the Flex 50 gold Hercos myself. I like to spin them so the tip is pointing back towards my palm and pick with the knurled edge. The grips impart a bunch of harmonic content and cool "noise" when you pick the string.

[​IMG]

12. jeffmcoffin

jeffmcoffin Member

I'm looking for the Herco Heavy Silver picks that were larger than standard picks - they were equilateral triangles. It's a pre-Dunlop pick with the circle logo on one side and a different shaped logo on the other side. It was great to grip and had less attack click than other picks that are as heavy as it was.

13. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

Wow! Thanks for posting on Herco picks. I had a green Herco ultra thin pick that was utterly amazing for acoustic guitar. Wonder if they can be found still.

14. FrankyNoTone

FrankyNoTone Member

Here are some vintage ones, including the ones the OP was mentioning before he was run out of the forum ;)

http://anniespicks.weebly.com/herco.html

Anyways, those are all long gone (the green ones were the exact same as the others but marketed at a lower price). Small stores that have been around for decades may still have some lurking in a back drawer. I lucked out big time last year on vintage Fender, D'Andrea and Pickboys as I enjoy visiting new stores and checking out their stuff.

And the Herco picks made now by Dunlop are not the same, heck even the Dunlops made now are not the same as they once were.

15. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yeah, we used to think these were so great decades ago [easy to hold onto!]. Still have one or two.
    [​IMG]
    I use these, pick w/ the broad end also.
    [​IMG]
    The smooth nylon picks w/ the hole were easy to hold, but too soft.
    [​IMG]

16. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

Interesting , I prefer nylon picks myself. I have a hard time playing without them