1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Paging all Guytron owners!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Variable, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Variable

Variable Member

I'm about to replace my GFlex 212 after hearing I'm not the only one with a pronounced fizz because of this cab. What are you guys using these days? I was bouncing between an Earcandy BuzzBomb (which is front mounted, though hopefully without the same fizz problem as the GFlex), and an Avatar 412. The speakers I'm looking at are the Eminence Wizard and Governor. If I get the Earcandy, it'll probably be two Wizards; if the Avatar, two Wizards and two Governors in an X pattern.

Advice? I'm going for really chimey, glassy highs (think Jimmy Page's live tone), sweet mids and punchy but not overbearing or woofy lows. Thanks guys!

-Russ

2. Variable

Variable Member

Oh, I guess I should mention that mine is a Rev B non-FV model.

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Classic Lead 80's were smooth, no fizz.

4. Variable

Variable Member

What kind of cab? Front or rear-loaded?

To be honest I'm really leaning towards the BuzzBomb despite the fact it's front-loaded...

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

Front loaded cabs tend to be more fizzy dependingon speaker, that's probably the last thing I'd choose for smooth non fizzy. The cab I used was a Germino open back large 2x12. Great cab. Read loaded.

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Telewacker, who I haven't seen around here lately has a non fv guytron and swears by the guytron bigtone 55's........after trying all kinds of different speakers...

7. Variable

Variable Member

I had considered those as well. I might order the Earcandy Boa unloaded and throw a couple Bigtones in it. Hell, at this point, ANYTHING rear-loaded is an option. The GFlex is driving me nuts!:FM

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

+1 that's what I have in my CB Guytron cabinet. They come stock with a V30 and a CL80 but I just couldn't take the V30. Two CL80's sound great in this cabinet.

Another great speaker is the Texas Heat and I will soon have two cabinets, the CB Guytron cab and a CB SScab (from Ebay) which will have the Texas Heats. Either speaker is great, just don't use V30's they really hurt the tone of the amp IMHO.

BTW, I have the FV version.

9. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

Hey Guytron players, please give alittle education to one who has never played one! Can the crunch tone get raw and glassy or is the whole amp just super smooth. Good vox tones? I may have an opertunity to score one but.....
    FWIW, I have a pair if Governors in an Avatar 2X12 open back. Bye Bye to my v30's. The highs are sweeter and while all the freq. of the v30 is there, NO painful hi's. The Govs disperse in the room nicely not nearly as directional as the Celes.
    Thanks,
    Wallace

10. Variable

Variable Member

Personally I was thinking of trying a pair of Wizards, or a Wizard and a Governor. I agree though, I'm pretty much done with V30s...

11. Guinness Lad

The problem sometimes is there are too many choices. I bought the Texas Heat just because it was available, I also looked at the Wizard and Gov. I bet any of these would sound great in the Guytron. The eq is so flexible that almost any speaker could be tweaked to sound good (except for the V30 :rotflmao ).

12. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I owned one of Guytron's early versions, then moved on to an new FV, Make no mistake! Guytron's are Glassy but much more.. This amp your possibly getting, is it an FV or an original model?. They are very different as far as tweaking goes. I've heard these amps described as crunchy. My experience has been that no matter what you do, getting say, a Marshall 2210 crunch is near impossible. I've tried! side by side! But then that's not what I like about these amp's. What Guytron is offering is a unique "out of the box thinking" amp that can cover a myriad of tones not attainable from a standard Marshall'esk amp companys.Think Vox meets Fender with a little Marshall sprinkled in..I have an amp that crunches, then I have the Guytron. Hard to explain but I need this amp around. It just one of those plug in and smile amps! You can't get a bad tone outs these. If you want a crunch amp, try a Tophat or Marshall.....These are "unique amps" in every sense of the word, People either seem to love them or avoid them. Hope that helps...

13. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I hear great things about the FV, and dig some clips I've heard. But, what's with the value of these things going in the toilet? From $2800+ new... to $1800 on the used market a few months after you buy it? :eek:

Is there something cheap made about these? Circuit board design? I've read stuff on the tolex coming unglued, but the electronics and design have got to be quality?

Sorry to hijack. :) :eek:

14. Guinness Lad

That's normal depreciation for most anything. You could buy a Victoria Deluxe new for $1700 and turn around and sell it for $1000. The electronics are all high quality, in fact it looks more like the inside of a high end stereo. They use a circuit board but it's well thought out and all the tubes have supports around the entire tube to reduce flexing when removing tubes. The tolex hasn't come off on mine.

Mine came with the cabinet in one giant box with some bubble wrap and wadded up newspaper to protect it. I bought it used and received it in a non-original box. The amp and cabinet were bouncing around inside the box and the box had holes in it and I had to help the UPS guy carry it to my door step. I sometimes wonder how it even got in the truck.

15. Variable

Variable Member

Well, I emailed Tim @ Earcandy, and he says that it really depends on the design of a front loaded cab and the speakers in it. He recommended the Red, White and Blues over the Wizards; apparently the more british voiced speakers have can have that fizz. I'm thinking maybe the Texas Heat? I'm still waiting for him to get back to me regarding possible speakers, as I've checked out the description on his page for the RWB and it didn't float my boat.