Paint, Or Not To Paint

scott

Supporting Member
I have one quote to finish it in nitro for $500. That includes Vintage tinted color and black shot on the front of the peg head.....and buffed.
I would jump at that before they change their mind. I would charge $800 at least to do that guitar.
Finishing is by far the most time consuming part of a guitar build. It can be extremely frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. It's still frustrating to me at times and thats after hundreds of guitars. Also, Limba is very porous and you'll need to grain fill it a couple times or you'll just shoot nitro on it until next year trying to fill that grain.

scott

Supporting Member
If you want an amber hue and you like a satin finish then go with Tung Oil. If you want a glossy type finish use Tru Oil.
Limba is relatively soft and tru oil or tung oil won’t give you much protection. It’ll be dirty and dented in no time.

DonP

I’ve decided to get it professionally done. Thanks for all the input!!
I decided to take the plunge and finish it myself!! I did the first round of grain filler this morning and have a backplate almost completed for it. I’ll post pics later.

I’m doing the linseed oil and sandpaper method to grain fill. I got the idea from this woodworking magazine.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/finishes/filling-grain-for-perfect-finishing
I am confused. Did you get it professionally done, or did you do it yourself, or both???

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Gold Supporting Member
Finished the grail fill today. Gonna let it set over the weekend and maybe through Tuesday before final sanding and first coat of poly.

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Gold Supporting Member
Take your time and do it yourself. If you are careful and patient, you'll surprise yourself with how good a job you did.
I’m typically not a patient person. But I have it forced into my head that I need to be patient with this project.

I’m really not sure how many coats of poly it will take (wet sanding with 800 in between) to achieve the kind of finish I will be happy with.

Mikhael

I have refinished a couple of guitars myself. The last one, I wanted to do a professional job on it. And I did! It came out beautiful! It took about a YEAR to do it correctly (I have a day job, family, and two bands). I will NEVER EVER do it again. What a @#$%ing PITA it was!

Steadfastly

I’m typically not a patient person. But I have it forced into my head that I need to be patient with this project.

I’m really not sure how many coats of poly it will take (wet sanding with 800 in between) to achieve the kind of finish I will be happy with.
If you follow the directions on the paint can, that is usually sufficient. The company wants the best result and their directions will assure that. If you are in a very humid area, extend the time given by another 50%.

Trending Topics