Painted Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wire-n-wood, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I have an Epiphone Les Paul with a painted fixed neck. The back of the neck is glossy black, slick, sometimes a bit inconsistently sticky and slippery in the sweat... Somehow, I'd just rather be a bit closer to the grain.

I'm considering sanding the back of the neck down. Is this a bad move? (Wouldn't be my first.) This Epi LP is over 10 years old, and I picked it up on ebay. I'm looking for ways to like it better, and to get better use out of it.

2. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I'm guessing it's the Special 2. I don't know that it'd be worth the trouble. Glossy necks get sticky like that. I prefer unfinished necks for that reason. I'd keep a towel handy and keep it wiped down or get another guitar.

3. fumbler

fumbler Member

Some very fine #0000 steel wool will knock down the shine just enough to make it feel great without going deep into the finish. Micromesh also works. Tape up your pickups so you don't get iron filings stuck to the magnets.

If you don't like it the finish can easily be buffed back to a nice shine. But I bet you'll like it.

4. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

It's an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Yep, I prefer unfinished necks too. That's the thing. The guitar is worth keeping though. It has a nice mahogany resonance about it, good weight, good feel.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do it. That's a much better idea than sanding through the whole lot.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Put some guitar polish on it. That will make it slick.