Painting over chrome?

SeeMoore

thinking of painting the chrome bridge plate on my Squire strat flat black.
Should I dremel the chrome playing off first?

AdmiralB

thinking of painting the chrome bridge plate on my Squire strat flat black.
Should I dremel the chrome playing off first?

Paint won't stick to chrome very well, that's for sure.

I painted the grille on one of my cars a couple years ago; it was chrome-plated plastic. I 'soaked' it in a mixture of hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide, and that dissolved the chrome and the copper strike without bothering the plastic substrate. It took about a week of daily 'bath' changes to get it totally clean. Then I primed, and painted with catalyzed auto polyurethane. It's held up great.

You could do the same (and a lot quicker, easier, and cheaper since it's so small a part), but you'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure you don't etch the base metal excessively.

SeeMoore

Getting some stainless saddles tomorrow, thought they would look good against a black background on the bridgeplate.
Function and style!

onemoretime

Paint won't stick even If you rough up the chrome and use self etching primer For the cost of a can of paint, you can buy a complete black trem tailpiece on eBay.

Smakutus

I had this guitar painted in 98 or so.. My guitar guy was supposed to take the covers off the pick ups before he gave it to the painter.. He didn't.

It actually looks way better with them on design wise, but I figured the paint wouldn't stick for long and I could take them off and paint them later but the paint is still on there all these years later.

542339_10151367237436382_1411723373_n.jpg

385201_10151366730106382_1742706166_n.jpg

Jeff

prodrigu

Silver Supporting Member
I had this guitar painted in 98 or so.. My guitar guy was supposed to take the covers off the pick ups before he gave it to the painter.. He didn't.

It actually looks way better with them on design wise, but I figured the paint wouldn't stick for long and I could take them off and paint them later but the paint is still on there all these years later.

542339_10151367237436382_1411723373_n.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, that does look very cool!

partsmutt

Chrome can be painted so long as it's not cracked, chipped, or pealing. And it needs to be prepped correctly. I used to do a lot of custom motorcycle stuff, and while I never painted chrome, I knew guys who did. Clean it well and use a very fine steel wool to prep the surface. Not too coarse or it will scratch through the chrome. Then prime it before a top color.

As mentioned, it could indeed be cheaper to buy a black one already and switch out your saddles.

AdmiralB

Chrome can be painted so long as it's not cracked, chipped, or pealing. And it needs to be prepped correctly. I used to do a lot of custom motorcycle stuff, and while I never painted chrome, I knew guys who did. Clean it well and use a very fine steel wool to prep the surface. Not too coarse or it will scratch through the chrome. Then prime it before a top color.

If you do this, and the object is never 'stressed', it'll work fine. The paint won't just 'fall off' on its own.

But if it's subject to any kind of wear, abrasion, whathaveyou - my experience has been that it just doesn't work very well, even with special etching primers.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '65 ES330 that someone painted over the chrome pickup covers with black paint. I did chip off a small corner under the pickguard to investigate how easy it would have been to restore them and the paint is pretty firmly on there. There's no wear from pick use on the covers so it's pretty tough stuff.

Unfortunately I've no idea what type of paint it is.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom