painting pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bionic, Mar 30, 2008.

1. bionic

bionic Member

Is there anything I should know? I was just going to take off the jacks and switches and board and just have a go with a spray can and finish with laquer. I am also going to have a go with my dunlop and need to get the already peeling black paint off. Do I use a dremel for that?

2. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

Ok so I painted my DL4 and here's what I did but I'm going to give you the right way....

1.Take all the switches/board/etc. You just want to have the casing exsposed.
    2. With the dunlop I would tape off the top pad with (blue masking painting tape this stuff does not rip off your paint job.
    3. Go to Home depot and buy a exzacto knife so you can cut the tape.
    4. Don't use a dremel unless you have the sandpaper buffer. Be careful when sanding down the paint. You do not have to sand it all the way off just enough so the new paint will stick to the old layer. Just make sure its ruff with some scratches.
    5. Go buy some spray enamel for the paint. I would go buy a gloss spray...I repeat a gloss paint not a matte cover...GLOSS SPRAY clear acrylic lacquer.
    6. When painting make sure you keep about 7-10 inches when your spraying. You don't have to completely cover the pedal the first time. Start from left to right (whatever you prefer) lightly spraying (not blasting) up and down until the you've passed the pedal once. If you don't cover all the pedal thats ok just repeat this step until you have the whole thing covered with a nice layer of paint.
    7. Once the paint has completely dried get some fine grit sandpaper and wet sand your pedal (put sand paper in water and sand) until the paint is smooth.
    8. Once your finished if you have a toaster oven bake the pedal at 150 degrees F. For like 15 to 20 minutes. Check up to make sure the paint is not boiling up. Your just doing this to make a solid layer of paint like the original paint job.
    9. Let it cool down before you touch it:FM then apply the clear gloss to the same way you painted it.

Hope this helps you out let me know

3. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

4. thewex

thewex Member

5. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

If you are interested i have boxes already painted with swirls that are killers. they will go out for sale soon. I will put pics soon. I can email you some pics tonight but i promise you they look killer. One is flamey looking and the other one is Hot Rod looking. Can you say killer?

6. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I'm assuming you mean your wah? The black paint on mine, though chipped, was a B*tch to dremel off... I entertained the idea of trying to get all the paint of at first, but ended up just sanding the surface 'til it was smooth. Here's a thread with pics 'bout my modded wah:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=334692

7. Kalik

Kalik Member

8. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Just make sure when you use the toaster oven it's not the one you use every day AND is in a well ventillated area -- like an open garage. The Beavis audio page recommends Rustoleum "because it's idiot proof."

9. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I recently completed a GGG LPB booster and used the swirl method:
    [​IMG]