Painting plated parts

JoePass

I've got an old tailpiece from an Epi Joe Pass. The gold is worn off in some spots and very oxidized in others. I've ordered a rattle can of Krylon Premium Gold Foil Metallic Spray.
What sort of prep should I do to the metal before spraying?

OlAndrew

If that's real gold in the plating, the paint isn't going to want to stick to it very well. I'd scrub it thoroughly with a mild abrasive like Comet or a coarse rubbing compound. Then soak it in a mild acid, like a 50 -50 mix of bleach and water to slightly etch the surface. Don't soak it too long, just enough to discolor the surface a bit.

Then, you'll need a coat of a good primer. I don't know what's in Krylon, whether its lacquer, enamel or what, but the type of primer needs to match the type of color coat.Color (except for maybe some Rustoleum) won't bond to metal. Has to have the primer.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Silver Supporting Member
Respectfully, no paint product will stay on plated metal very long and mettalics wont look like plating.
Rob (another old hippie who loves Sedona ;)
www.rhomcoguitars.com

OlAndrew

^ true, dat, but the procedure I gave will give about the best you can get. Used to work that way when I was painting motorcycles and someone wanted paint over a chrome part. Much depends on whether the part is a 'wear' part, that you'll be touching a lot, or something out of the way.

I'd probably buff and polish the thing and get it plated. Check with a large jeweler where they have an actual workshop, not just a mall sales place, or a place that does trophies and such. Maybe find a plating shop online, or in a publication for folks that restore antiques, or old cars.

Trending Topics