painting the transformers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theinteriorleag, Oct 8, 2008.

1. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

Any particular paint I can or should use? Any problems this will present for the sound or amp functionality?

Much appreciation.

2. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

if you do a search for VHT outside of musical instruments on ebay, there is a bunch of "Very High Temperature" paint.

Maybe that would work? I think it's for painting engine parts for car shows?

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

High temp car paint will hold up to like 300 degrees and then you can get header/exhaust paint that'll hold over 1000 degrees. The problem with those paints is that they need to get hot to cure properly, so they may not stick to the tranny.

5. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I would hesitate until I hear from experts. Considering why most seem to be painted black to begin with it makes me think that's done for heat dissipation. If you paint them the wrong color you might be holding heat in that was meant to be dissipated.

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I would guess it's more the material than the color of the paint that causes the heat dissipation. People chrome them too though, so I doubt it's that big of a deal.

7. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

As hot as some get I'd say it depends on the amp a bit too. I could almost fry and egg on my old VK power tranny. :D

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

If it is just for looks, consider pulling the bells and just painting them. That way you can use the high temp paint, and cook it to cure it. Still looks cool, without worrying about the actual transformer.

9. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

my only concern so far is not to impede the tone and to not use the wrong type of paint.

It really is just an aethetic thing. The amp is a tiny terror, and I was thinking of leaving the top of the cage off and have the amp sit on my shelf. The tranny never seemed to get too hot on me.

thanks for the input.

10. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I would be more concerned about the heat dissapation of the tranny with the paint being an inhibitor..kind of like covering it up?