Pairing Amps and Cabs Orange Matamp Style Set Up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bleakstreak, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bleakstreak

Bleakstreak Member

I have just ordered a new custom head. It is a duel KT-66 powered 50 watt head. Similar to a Matamp / Orange / Sunn. Wattage is probably a little higher than listed, closer to 60 or 70 watts maybe. I found an excellent deal on an Orange 4x12 240 watt cab. Is my amp too small to push that big cab? I am considering buying the cab and swapping out the stock Vintage 30's for something else. Looking for tons of headroom, articulate sound with good bass response.

Suggestions from those that know are appreciated.

2. Bleakstreak

Bleakstreak Member

Bump... Anyone? anyone, one one ne e

3. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

IMO there's no such thing as an amp that won't sound good into a 4 x 12" box as long as the impedance is matched pretty close. I have plugged 15 watt amps like a little Gibson Hawk into my 4 x 12" cab and it sounded the best it ever sounded.

Also the Vintage 30 is a great speaker to get going with. Some folks don't like them but most folks do. It's a great mid forward meat and potatoes rock speaker. I would think the aggressive mids and plentiful highs will compliment an Orange Matamp type circuit. Orange used Fanes back in the old days, they are great speakers, not quite as bright as the Vintage 30. Don't worry about it. The cabinet design will get you plenty of lows. Get the darn thing up and running and just play your ass off. You'll get a great sound.

4. Bleakstreak

Bleakstreak Member

Thanks man! I would love a 2x12 for practicality reasons. I know this 4x12 weighs 100lbs! I'm a little hesitant to move it! I would love a slightly beat 2x12 to pop up, but I found this 4x12 for less than the 2x12s are going for, so I am tempted to jump on it. I can at least get my money back out later on if I find a 2x12 for a good price.