Pairing delay and reverb pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dbbude, Jan 10, 2019.

1. germs

germs Member

this is a fantastic choice, and probably the easiest to obtain and experiment with.

monty likes this.
  2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

My approach has synergy I think. Decided to go for a 60’s/70’s vibe by combining plate reverb with a tape sim. To me that is the best era, and enables the creation of new music that nonetheless has a classic vibe. Plate reverb can be outstanding with guitar specifically.

To achieve this I went with a Catalinbread Talisman and Strymon El Capistan. Modern capabilities/control, classic vibe. Lots of late night fun.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    dbbude likes this.
  3. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

MXR CC into TC HoF2 both on very not extreme setting. The CC replaced a TC Alter Ego which is good but not as good as the CC.

Yes, I never owned a boutique delay. As for reverbs - the HoF2 came after two boutique reverbs and I still love it. More than what I had before it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    dbbude likes this.
  4. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I happen to have the Strymon TimeLine/BigSky pairing, and is there ever synergy! I love the combo. The BigSky is actually the only reverb effect I've ever owned that wasn't built into an amp.

dbbude likes this.
  5. Jemsc

Jemsc Member

I gassed for a neunaber WET and MLJR and now have both. They are great no doubt. But I realised how it muds my tone when I stack them.
    Honestly amp reverb + a delay pedal is enough. I find that the more reverb I use, the less I actually do play or practice. Just to share..

dbbude likes this.
  6. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Anybody running delay/reverb in parallel?

dbbude likes this.
  7. pusher

pusher Member

Got the Source Audio Nemesis delay first. Wasn't planning it, but added their Ventris reverb pedal. For me, it's the ultimate combination. They're both in the same ecosystem with their software and tone sharing stuff. It was a no brainer.

And, I have to admit, I use maybe 20% of their capability. If I ever need more choices, they're right in front of me.

But most importantly for me, they're MIDI capable. I have them set up together as an array, working both device's presets together for a low, medium, and large setting with reverb and delay. I've copied that array to another button which includes chorus. It seems to work really well for my gigs. Each push of the button scrolls through the array, which makes it a quick for - for me - to select the reverb/delay setting that works for the song or the room.

T.M.I, I know.

Snufkinoob and dbbude like this.
  8. dbbude

dbbude Member

Got it! My bad

9. dbbude

dbbude Member

I am seriously considering getting this pedal. Went through a bunch of youtube vids and it looks very cool and not too complicated

FokenBusker likes this.
  10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Before they can go together, you need to find reverb and delay pedals that each do what you need for that effect. (In my opinion). No magic at all, and I've found no way to predict what will work. Complete trial and error.

The delay choice for me is tougher, because I want the most subtle delay possible, one repeat, only barely in the mix. Not many will do it. TC alter ego V2 (to echoplex or SP modes) and Skreddy Echo do work that way. So that's what I use. They happen to go perfectly with my favorite reverbs. Which tend to be outright spring sounds or not quite spring.

So on two small boards, one has the Alter Ego V2 in front of the Topanga reverb. The other has a Skreddy Echo in front of a Prussian blue reverb. Hard to say which is better, cause both sound so good.

Snufkinoob, dbbude and wornoutjunkie like this.
  11. chandlerman

chandlerman Supporting Member

Delay and reverb in one pedal. I always have this on.

[​IMG]

12. 77trogdor77

77trogdor77 Member

I like my rubberneck and trasmisser combo, lots of fun to had.

13. p.j.

p.j. Member

I like my Caroline Meteore into my Catalinbread Adineko or Boss Tera Echo. I find it sounds better before rather than after.

wornoutjunkie likes this.
  14. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Super special combination:
    Pt2399 delay + belton brick reverb
    Example: skrecho->eqd ghost echo

I also like:
    Obne Black fountain -> mr black bloodmoon

Empress super delay -> mr black eterna

Catalinbread adineko -> mr black supermoon chrome

Boss dm-2w -> boss rv-6

Any old sounding delay -> keeley abbey chamber

LordByron likes this.
  15. wornoutjunkie

wornoutjunkie Member

Just dial the pair you liked and when stacking make sure they don't get mushy and tweak accordingly, or if that's what you want just leave it as It is. I don't think getting a combo there is an specific combo that works better than others (ex. Treble boost into plexi pedals, fuzz face > uni-vibe)
    My favorite combo is big box delay > modulated Reverb > simple delay. I like the way the modulated reverb stacks into short delays with long feedback.

16. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

The Expression pedal features are the coolest I've ever heard. Wah sweeps in your delay repeats? Rotovibe? There are just so many things to love about this unit.

dbbude likes this.
  17. Kreso

Kreso Member

Whatever I do with reverb and delay at home or in rehearsal usually means nothing at a gig, so I realized it is best to be really straightforward. Most venues (small clubs we play, plus occassional sports hall or a big festive tent) are not friendly to time based effects. Occassionaly, my delays actually make sense and then I make use of heavy delay, but again - in most cases, it is just not worth it...

dbbude likes this.
  18. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Are there really bad pairs? I think any combo would work if the user knows what they are dealing with. Did anyone had a pair that just didn't work together but worked nice with other delay/reverb pedals?

19. Erik N

Erik N Member

Rubberneck together with the Empress Reverb.

dbbude likes this.
  20. Riffa

Riffa Member

Two pairings that have been working great for me are the Carbon Copy into Prussian Blue reverb and the Montavillian into a Mini HOF. As a standalone delay + reverb I like the RV-3.