Pairing G12H30 70th Anniv and Greenbacks in 4x12?

Best mix?

• G12M + G12H30 70th Anniv

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • G12M + V30

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Leave the cab alone!

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Dannyz

Here´s the question. I have 4x G12M chinese greenbacks in a Marshal 1960 tall vintage cab with bluesbreaker grill.

A guy near my zone wants to trade his two G12H30 70th Anniv for two of my Greenbacks.

I was thinkin about swapping speakers and put two H30 70th Anniv at the bottom to take tighten up the low end and two G12Ms at the top for the squishy midrange.

Both speakers have: same cones H1777, 98db for the Greenback and 99db for the 70th Anniv.

Has anyone tried that combination? I know, i should try it by myself but if its a poor combination, i would like to avoid the hassle of opening cabs, swapping, etc.

I have three amps right now. Mesa Dual Rec Multiwatt (now loaded with EL34s), 50W 68' Handwired Plexi and an Orange Rockerverb. Basically i play music with mid to high gain.

I want a more complex tone (juicy maybe?). The G12Ms give me that but the bottom two get a bit lost in this huge cab. I know that Bogner runs this combination in his Goldfinger cab. Friedman uses the G12M/V30 combo. Maybe thats another to consider?

sickboy79

Yep, I have GBs (72 era Greyback G12Ms) and G12H30s (70th) mixed in my Matchless 4x12. Mine are in the X pattern. Absolutely amazing combo. They go together really well.

Whether or not you should do it is up to you. If you are happy with the way the cab sounds, don't fix it if it isn't broke. But, if you want to try something new they are a great combo. They go together like PB&J IMO. I prefer the G12H30 over the V30 so I would lean that route over the GB/V30 combo.

BearBryan

I run a slanted oversized Mojotone British 2x12 with a Scumback M75 up top and a H75 down low. It sounds glorious with my 50 watt plexi clone.

evildik

I’m using regular Greenbacks on top and Scumback H75’s on the bottom in an Egnater 4x12. I’m also doing the greenback/V30 mix in a vertical Mesa 2x12. The Egnater sounds great and seems to fit more styles IMO (I run my Kemper through it).

However, the Mesa cab does sound excellent with my TC-50 and seems to blend with that amp better than my 4x12. Of course Mesas and V30’s do tend to be a popular combination, and with good reason. I may make it an all V30 cab at some point for even more contrast between the two.

I guess what I’m saying is it can be amp dependent, but I’ve had great results with a mix similar to what you’re suggesting for sounds going from clean to mean

Dannyz

This is another (similar) comparison which doesnt help at all with my speaker swap lol:

bufbills

Supporting Member
I did this about 3 weeks ago. H 30s on the bottom and greenies on top in a 1960. Love it.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
I’ve been doing it in 2x12’s for years. My next 4x12 will be Greenbacks up top and 70th Anniversaries on the bottom.

deepcove17

Supporting Member
Here´s the question. I have 4x G12M chinese greenbacks in a Marshal 1960 tall vintage cab with bluesbreaker grill.

A guy near my zone wants to trade his two G12H30 70th Anniv for two of my Greenbacks.

I was thinkin about swapping speakers and put two H30 70th Anniv at the bottom to take tighten up the low end and two G12Ms at the top for the squishy midrange.

Both speakers have: same cones H1777, 98db for the Greenback and 99db for the 70th Anniv.

Has anyone tried that combination? I know, i should try it by myself but if its a poor combination, i would like to avoid the hassle of opening cabs, swapping, etc.

I have three amps right now. Mesa Dual Rec Multiwatt (now loaded with EL34s), 50W 68' Handwired Plexi and an Orange Rockerverb. Basically i play music with mid to high gain.

I want a more complex tone (juicy maybe?). The G12Ms give me that but the bottom two get a bit lost in this huge cab. I know that Bogner runs this combination in his Goldfinger cab. Friedman uses the G12M/V30 combo. Maybe thats another to consider?
G12H Annie's are a bright speaker. I pair a G12M with a Scumback H75 in my 2X12 with my Orange amp with great results. You may like the G12M G12H anniversary combo if you have a darker set up.

The cones being identical for the M and H Greenbacks the H30 is bound to be louder still in use.

Mind the H is bound to impart its (actually Blackback) highend as well. The Chinese G12M is technically Blackback as well.

Beefeater

I ran a JCM900 1960a cab with Greenbacks up top and G12h30s on the bottom for nearly 10 years. Mixed it up a few years ago and put them in an x pattern. I played a Mesa Dual Rec rev g, Marshall JCM900 DR, 1959 SLP, Orange Thunderverb & H&K Triamp through it. Honestly, unless I was standing 15+ feet away I couldn't hear the G12H as the slant cab just blasted the greenbacks at my head. In the x patern I just found the cab too bright for me personally. Don't get me wrong, it always sounded good, but my H&K Triamp cab with 4 greenbacks always sounded better, especially at higher gain.

I personally would stick with what you have and keep breaking in those speakers.

Trending Topics