Pairing Sunn head with Marshall cab?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by ljakse, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ljakse

ljakse Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
    I'm offered to by Sunn Coliseum 300 head with Marshall JCM800 bass cab consisting of 4 Celestion G12-65.
    Any idea how will this two pair?

Sunn amp strength is:
    300 WRMS @ 2 ohms
    200 WRMS @ 4 ohms
    120 WRMS @ 8 ohms

Each cone in cab is labeled as 15 ohms, though I think it's actually 16 ohms.

Also does anyone have opinion on this cab and amp?

Thanks.

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I bet thats a 16 ohm cab, which will not be a great match for your amp head...

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

don't play bass through that cab. if the speakers are in good shape, which they might not be if they've had bass played through them, sell them to guitar players who are definitely looking for those speakers. (that's why celestion reissued them for almost $200 each)

4. ljakse

ljakse Member

doctord02, doesn't 4x16ohms speakers make the 4ohms cab? isn't it supposed to be divided by number of cones in the box?

walterw, i am sure those are great speakers for guitar, but cab it self is labeled as "JCM800 BASS" and originally came with "JCM800 SUPER BASS" amp.
    why do you think that they are not good for the bass and would be destroyed by bass cab?

thanks for replies and cheers

5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

It's dependent on how the speakers are wired that determines the impedance of the cab.

My Marshall cab is a "bass" cab. Years ago, I used it as a bass cab (it came paired with a 100w NMV Super Lead and was used as a bass rig for years. I think it's an awesome sounding guitar cab. However- First, you're dealing with a piece of gear that's 20+ years old and running a lot of power and a lot of low end through it. It's rough on speakers. It'll be really rough on 20+ year old speakers that really weren't designed to have a 300w head pushed though them. It's not just that it's old and not meant to handle that kind of power, but that it's also "collectable" an it really should factor into how you use it.

In all honesty, I believe there are "better" cabs for bass that'll have better projection, better response, better bottom end, and better presence than most any bass 4x12 made more than 10-15 years ago.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what he said.

7. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Use the cab for guitar! Yes it is a 16ohm cab. I've owned three of the 4x12 800 Bass cabs with the Rola 65's and they just sound great for guitar!
    I use an old Kustom 2x15 with CTS(I belive they're called)speakers in it or my Acoustic JBL loaded 2x15 with my Sunn 200S head.

8. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Marshall non-stereo cabs are usually 16 ohms, wired in series-parallel; two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel equals 8 ohms, and then the two pairs are wired in series which adds 8 + 8 to equal 16 total.

It would be a killer guitar cab, but I wouldnt trust running a bass thru those speakers, especially with a solid state head that has no 16 ohm output tap...