Pakistani/jazz/dance fusion (Rez Abassi)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jzucker, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Sande and i went to an amazing concert at the Cleveland Museum of Art yesterday.

Ragamala Dance with Rudresh Mahanthappa, Rez Abbasi and others.

It was an amazing performance of dance and jazz featuring indian / pakastani harmonies and rhythms.

One could do a dissertation on the playing of this ensemble.

My only complaint was that it was only an hour long!

Highly recommend picking up anything with Rez or Rudresh on it.

You can see/hear a video excerpt at this link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postt...a39b30-b06f-11e4-bf39-5560f3918d4b_video.html

2. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I saw Rez in Lex, KY a few years ago with Sundip Burman on tablas... freaking amazing!!!

I have all his cd's.... he has a really unique take on world jazz I love!

He's super nice and down to earth guy, too... There were a couple of guitar heads in the audience and we talked with him for a while after the show...
    :phones

3. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Underrated player and solid guy...has been on the scene for a long while now and can definitely play.

4. Neer

Neer Member

Interesting. I think he's a great player. I also dig Pakistani music, so that would be something I'd go see.

5. jzucker

the saxophonist on the gig, Redresh Mananthappa is unreal. Worth the price just to hear him.

6. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I was at UNT at the same time as Rudresh and was in an a few classes with him during my 2 years there. Funny thing was, I was able to test out of Improv I and he wasn't because the teacher didn't feel he outlined the Dorian, Mixolydian and Ionian modes well enough when improvising over ii-V-I. It was ridiculous and he was the only one who played a compelling solo in the whole class. That was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the school. If the teachers couldn't hear what he was doing, they weren't the teachers for me. He was really good then (very Coltrane influenced) and has matured into an amazing player. Was just listening to his tribute to Bird record that just came out and it's great.

Familiar with Rez only by name so I think I need to check him out.

7. jzucker

That's !@#$ hilarious and sad at the same time. Unfortunately, the bar is very low for becoming a jazz instructor nowadays.

8. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

And these were guys who were well established and well respected in the jazz education world (this was in 88-90): plenty of books published and sold, clinics all over the country/world, they basically set the standard. I'm not going to name any names but I guarantee you are familiar with them.

When it seemed chord/scale "correctness" trumped good music making I knew it wasn't the environment for me.

9. jzucker

understandable. When I was a jazz guitar major at the university of miami it was during the fusion era and if you played bop you were considered a retread and were looked upon as a 2nd class citizen. It was a really cliquish environment. Many of the teachers there seemed to be pushing funk and fusion over anything else. Still, I don't remember anyone getting flunked out of improv class for being too hip!

10. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Just to be clear, he didn't flunk out. As a freshman you had to take a class prior to taking Improv as a sophomore (can't remember what the class name was, but it was some kind of jazz fundamentals course). At the end of the year you could take a playing test in class playing over "tunes" that the teacher wrote. They were just major and minor ii-V's in various keys. If you passed the playing test you could skip Improv I and go straight into Improv II as a sophomore.

I played a boring ass "correct" solo over the tunes and got to go into Improv II.

Rudy (as he was known then) played a bad ass, very hip, musically interesting solo that didn't strictly follow the changes and got stuck in Improv I because of it. Believe me, he knew the basics very well and didn't need the review of what mode to play over what chord. Infuriates me to this day...

11. jzucker

that happened to a friend of mine at berklee. He someone got mis-characterized as a level 2 player and ended up teaching his private instructor.

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm very familiar with both Rez and Rudresh, I'm so envious that you got to see that. Doesn't Rez have a steady teaching position out in that neck of the woods? He's such a marvelous musician

13. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

Very cool stuff. If memory serves, I saw Rudresh with Vijay Iyer a few years ago (actually, it was probably close to 10 years ago!) and it was pretty amazing.