PAL 800 JCM Emulator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Slashaholic Anonymous, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Now try to resist purchasing the 959 ;).

2. Renardm

Renardm Member

Now does this have more gain on tap than a real JCM 800? Can you get into hair metal territory?

3. shock me

shock me Member

I'm playing WASP songs with my Gold. Nails that tone.

4. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I got mine just a few weeks ago. Fantastic pedal. I run it into my dsl40c on clean and it basically sounds exactly the same as my old 800 without having to crank it. I have nothing but praise for it and wish I'd heard about it sooner.

dpgreek likes this.
  5. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I just ordered the silver one. I have a Gurus DD and Cornish G2, so think those cover older Marshall tones well. We'll see how it compares - wanting some good JCM crunch.

dpgreek likes this.
  6. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Youll get plenty with it. Its funny bc when I tried out JCMs back in the day, they were so bright alone. Similarly the pedal is voiced on the brighter side... by itself, yes it can sound in your face but when you play within a mix it sings

JeffreyC likes this.
  7. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing in the clips. Lots of other Marshall pedals don't seem to have that right to my ear - stuff I hear in Tom Morello's tone for instance.

8. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I am a little confused on the gold. Is it an 800 and has the extra voicing switch or was it designed to cover both the plexi and the 800?

indeedido likes this.
  9. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Here's what they told me:

Hi Jeffrey.

Thanks for your question, The PAL 800 GOLD Overdrive have the same concept design as the PAL 800 JCM Emulator, you can consider that the PAL 800 GOLD Overdrive is like a Marshall amp that has been mod in a good way and also with more tone versatility with the Gain Voicing Switch. In this meaning, you can get in the PAL 800 JCM and PAL 959 Plexi territories with the GOLD Overdrive,

In general you will have more gain, more mids and attack response and of course versatility, but if you are looking for the exact tone of the JCM800 then you should get the PAL800 JCM Emulator

here is the link of the PAL800 GOLD Overdrive at Reverb.com:

https://reverb.com/item/5520961-pal-800-gold-overdrive-pedal-effect

We hope to do business with you.

Best Regards.

Luis.

infiniteposse likes this.
  10. dpgreek

Get the gold. It rocks

shock me likes this.
  11. Bach1970

Bach1970 Silver Supporting Member

I just got the GOLD, I like the middle setting ala Plexi the most - I think I am a Plexi guy.
    The lower switch position to me is ala JCM and upper switch is ala JTM.
    I love them all - definitely the lower and upper switchnpositions have the classic "kerrang" when you play rhytm - alas our band here is folk rock and my other band is retro rock, so I will order the 959 - that is likely going to be my cup of tea. If anyone is interested I might have the GOLD for sale.

12. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I'm a plexi guy myself and was tempted by the Gold but I'm going to break down and get the 959. I dig Andy's demo. What exactly is the internal "tone" trimmer doing? Seems odd to have a tone control when you have a full eq on the top.

13. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

I've tried virtually every MIAB pedal there is. The only one to stay on my board for any extended period of time is the Gold.

14. dpgreek

Where are you folks setting your gold? Im running a kingsley maiden d into fx return of el84 crate 2x12 loaded with eminence originsls (basically close closest thing is a legend gb128). I great great tones (still a little bright) with the toggle in the middle, vol at unity, gain at 1, treble and presence around 11, bass at 1 and mids usually between 10-11. My only qualm is The brightness and wish it had a way to bring in some low mids. Its great, but it can take your head off with clean, bright set up. I like the down toggle too bc it pushes in some more low end. Definitely got that sound going

15. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Got mine delivered today - it is awesome! Haven't messed at all with the internal tone pot, sounds great set the way I got it, sounds great with my Les Paul and Strat so far. Will be trying it out with band tomorrow night.

16. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

I'm also curious to hear more demos of the 959 and Gold.

17. Defendant

Defendant Member

...All traits of the real amps. Not a hugely wide EQ range and not that much gain. Back in the 80s, everyone I knew boosted theirs with something or resorted to a JB or EMGs.

18. Defendant

Defendant Member

@Slashaholic Anonymous:

What are your thoughts on this pedal compared to the Alexander Jubilee? -I'm still very happy with my Alexander. Also supposed to basically be the preamp schematic of the amp, BTW.

I don't suppose anyone has had a go with these pedals and the Origin Revival drive? -Played the Origin earlier in the month and it was spectacular. It had the treble bite of a real amp.

19. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Supporting Member

The PAL is less compressed and lower gain than the Alexander. To my ears it is has more lower midrange bark, and the transients in the attack give it a very amplike feel. It has a ton of bite and it can be a bit tricky to find the right balance of bark and bite without the tone becoming harsh. Dialing up the gain smooths some of those rough edges.

The Jub is much smoother (courtesy of the compression), with less lower mid bark and more in the higher mids to my ears. IMO it definitely sounds its best with the gain and loudness dialed up, I would not choose it for a low to mid gain application. It is less amplike in its feel and response than the PAL, no way around it, but the tone is great nonetheless and it is pleasing to play when it’s dialed to the sweet spot.

A pedal that has seemed to get the best of both worlds for me is the lovepedal purple plexi, which immediately became my go to MIAB on my board, with either PAL, Alexander Jub, or Lovepedal Jub in the other dirt spot for an alternative flavor. Dialed to a hot crunch, the purple plexi will clean up pretty well with guitar volume and pick attack, and it just screams when hit with a treble booster. It has treble bite, punchy mids, and low end thump. I just wish it would mow the lawn every now and then ;)

No experience with the Origin Revival, but Origin’s reputation is sterling and I absolute believe its awesome.

Voodoo Soul Blues likes this.
  20. dpgreek

Is purple plexi similar to 800 woth the higher end sounds?