Pale Green Compressor question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, May 17, 2012.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Is it better before or after OD...pros and cons of both?

2. sameoldblues

sameoldblues Member

Don't have one, but I use an OS clone with the compression trim set near minimum for tone sweetening and a very slight evening-out. This seems to be very similar to the way most people use the PGC, so I don't feel that commenting on this is too dramatically off topic...

I prefer this type of comp after OD/Dist for two reasons: first, even when the comp is very quiet (like mine or the PGC), they add a lot more noise to the signal when placed before a gain pedal, because these pedals typically add a good amount of compression all by themselves, and raise the background/latent noise of the input signal.

The second reason is that you retain the touch sensitivity of the drive pedals because you're retaining the volume dynamics of the input signal, which a compressor is specifically designed to even out. Compression after the drive pedal still allows for touch sensitivity, but evens out the level of softer-picked (less distorted) passages with that of harder-picked (more distorted) passages. The only major con of running the pedals this way is that you may have to lower the compression knob a bit to accommodate any volume increase from the drive pedal, because such an increase will simply hit the input of the compressor with a hotter signal and make it compress harder. This works for me because my compression setting is minimal, AND it's an always-on pedal in my rig.

Hope that helps at least a little bit!

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Id agree with sobs' post ...

the PGC is designed for the two big problems of using comps with dirt - noise amplification and EQ changes...

because of the nature of compression and that when hit with gain compressors both amplify noise and shift EQ - PGCs silent operation and unique tone control allow it to adjust to being used either pre or post dirt.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i've tried it in both places and like the bearfoot pale green, for now, in front of my dirt. i use a red snapper, and lately a arc effects K style pedal. sometimes i use a honey bee or a fulldrive, etc.

in front of the pale green i have a fuzz.

after overdrives is great, too.

i personally like the comp & eq around 1pm, volume usually at unity, maybe a little above; depending how loud i can play the amp. which is never as loud as i'd prefer.

with the pale green & the red snapper i have one of the most amazing clean or clean dirty tones i've ever achieved with my tele. if the pale green is after the snapper it doesn't sound as good. mostly because i like the comp set a bit higher. if i put the snapper in front the comp squishes too much. lowering the comp doesn't sound the same, even if i adjust the eq nature.

with the fuzz in front it sounds great, but some fuzzes i do need to bend over and adjust the compression or shut it off completely.

it's true that the dynamics of some pedals are mutated by a compressor in front of them but the pale green behaves quite different than "most" compressors. doesn't feck with your dynamics in a very obvious way. if anything it feels like some of the notes are nudging their way forward. it might be very subtle for somebody wanting to use the comp like lowell george because it's not ever that squishy even if a overdrive is hitting the pedal hard.

e-flat likes this.
  5. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

thanks to all for the replies

6. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i play with it first, and have no such issues with noise. mainly due to the fact i dont like it to change the distinct character of the drives too much. in context, i use it mainly just for clean sounds, and an extra push if i need too.

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

apo
    Apologies for such a thread revival.

Would a four knob pale green be less useful after a boss angry driver and mxr 5150?

Would such high gain clip the comp?

Don Rusk likes this.
  8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I have PGC #001 (home again, thanks to my man @sstweed :aok) and, while I like it both before & after ODs, I usually use it before my drives -> The Pale Green is such a sweet "always on" enhancer, and ODs love to get hit by it's output, even if there's no significant volume bump. Just a great preamp, enhancer, light comp box.

Don Rusk, eclecticsynergy and sstweed like this.
  9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I run my Pale Green after fuzz, before ODs.
    Unit67 lives at the end of the line as an always-on.

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Right, the thing to remember is gain into compression usually adds compression ... and compression is usually not equal across the frequency range, so you usually get a little treble spike as bass is compressed more.
    Theres no right answer as both placements do different things that you can make use of...... try it both ways and educate your ears on the ways gain, comp and eq are interrelated and have fun.

e-flat likes this.