Pale Green Compressor - WOW! (Mad Professor content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dana Olsen, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

At NAMM I tried a Pale Green Compressor (made by the Mad Professor of Mad Professor Amps himself, Bjorn Juhl) at, well, the Mad Professor booth.

It sounds GREAT - best compressor I've ever heard, at least that I think I've heard - (at NAMM, it's a little hard to hear, actually - some of you may have noticed - GRIN)

Probably didn't hurt that I demo-d it through the Mad Professor Amp with one of Juha Ruakongas' great and lovely Tele inspired creations - both the amp and guitar were knockouts.

Controls are Volume, Compress, and Tone. It's the most transparent sounding unit I've ever tried - and the Tone control is really cool. Great attack. Low (I think) noise - it felt great to me. The highs didn't seem to change at all when I clicked it on - amazing!

I bought it from a little bird (well, OK, I got it from Dean Farley - Snake Oil Brand strings and TGP moderator PINKSTRAT - he's the US rep, I believe. This is FYI only - I'm not advertising for him, just naming where I got it) Try "Custom Sounds" website - not sure what the actual URL is.

Full review to follow as soon as I get it in my hands.

Bjorn also makes a Red pedal (Marshall sounds) and a Honey Drip (?) pedal (kind of tweed sounds) that both sounded FANTASTIC! I'm not really a pedal guy - just a compressor and a little delay for Cowboy Tele stuff, but I loved these 2 pedals, as well as the Compressor.

Can you spell G-A-S?

Dana

2. drolling

drolling Member

Honey drip, HAH, that's even cooler than what it's actually called; Honey Bee. But it does more drippin' than stingin'...very appropriate.

The PGC will be my next BJF pedal, for sure. Love the mad professor's stuff.

I, too, have been a tele, comp & slap-back kinda player, but hanging around here has caused inflammatory boarditis syndrome, the severest form of G.A.S., but not as expensive to treat as the heartbreaking amp&cab flipping disorder.

So, what kind of delay you using?

3. Dana Olsen

"So, what kind of delay you using?"

Currently, a Maxon 999, but ....

I'm actually becoming less particular as of late on delay stomp boxes. I have a Replica - it sounds fine - like a tape delay. I played through an old Boss analog lo-fi - sounded fine to me.

I heard Carl Verheyen play through I think a Boss DD-1 at NAMM. Wasn't hi fidelity, or really cool sounding, but it worked for me in that setting(though he had too many repeats for my taste) It's NAMM - like you could hear (GRIN)

For more modern sounds, I have Chandler rack mount that sounds great, but I use it about once a year.

What delay do you like?

Dana

4. drolling

drolling Member

Well, for a player that claims they're not too fussy, you've got a couple real nice ones there.

I've got most of Verhayen's CDs - tremendous player. Must have been a blast to see him live.

Like you, I prefer long delay to be buried in the mix, so I'm a fan of analog delays for their warmth & lo-fi sound. Currently using a Diamond delay for most apps, but I do prefer a digital delay for those dotted eighth note tricks. Almost embarassed to say (on TGP) that I'm using a DigiTech DigiDelay for that..

But I am on the waiting list for an Echoczar!

5. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i also played the honey bee and the pale green comp @ namm. I've owned the SBEQ and the EGDM, but the ones i played at namm were my favorite. So much that i bought a pale green compressor yesterday, and i'm going to buy a honey bee by the end of the week (hopefully ;)).

great great pedals, the pale green just sounded beautiful.

6. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I really like my PGC. Strat > Memory Lane with Modulation > FTR-37 Clean channel = Lovely. Even in the bridge position, had plenty of "meat". Of course, I will say that my strat/amp combo is complimented often for having a lot of meat anyway!

Yeah, I am sold on BJF stuff. Unfortunately, I can't really think of anything else I need right now. The EGDM sounds cool, though I don't really need any more OD stuff...maybe a clean boost.

7. themusicboxstudios

i'm pretty much at the same point as you ...

Tele (+ Strat Soon!)>PGC>(insert overdrive/boost here)>Cusack Trem (just for fun ;))> Memory Lane> FTR37.

it's a beautiful thing aint it?

not to mention that my scumback speaker has improved my over all tone GREATLY!!!!!!!

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah I use scumbacks too so you're still catchin' up ;)

I have a trem, and always wanted a tap-trem. But, is it worth the money? I could just get a L6 trem then. I dunno. But the cusack thing is cool.

9. themusicboxstudios

well, the cusack is definately worth it to me in the sense that i bought a red witch moon phaser for 150 and then put it for trade in the emporium, and cusack himself contacted me willing to trade for his trem. So i'm basically getting it for 150 :). Anyways, it should arrive early next week. I'll let you know what i think.

and yes, scumbacks are amazing! do you think i should stick with the blue/scum mix, or just go for 2 scums?!

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Blue + Scum in a 2x12 cab. I'm assuming the 50hz one? You have the right combo then.

If I could get a tapawhirl for $150 I would definitely buy it too!

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

The Pale Green is the most natural compressor I've heard by a long way. I've had mine about a month and already I know I'll never replace it. Like Dana says, it doesn't affect the treble response at all...perfect between my Tele & AC30.

It's one of those pedals that could change your entire set up and playing style, I've already become addicted to how it sounds after overdrive & fuzz. The Keeley comp was awful when used in the same way, too much high end got chopped.

I can't speak highly enough of the PGC, simply astounding quality, silent operation and the bench mark by which every comp claiming to be "transparent" should be measured. Worth every penny.

12. Dana Olsen

"Well, for a player that claims they're not too fussy, you've got a couple real nice ones there."

Well, I did say "as of late" ..... I'm perfectly capable of being REAL fussy, but as my pal Mark R. says ...

" Once the Drummer starts playing, you lose the subtlety of distinction" in many pedals .....

Like a delay.

In the Cowboy band, they don't play that loud, but it's an uncomplicated sound. In that context, dang near any good delay will do (as of late, anyhow - GRIN)

Still, the PGC is AWESOME - best compressor I've ever heard.

Dana

13. themusicboxstudios

i actually got the 75h speaker, because i needed to knock down as much volume as possible, so for live use, i only use the scumback now since it's less efficient, therefore, i need a nice balanced speaker, i was afraid that the 55H would be too dark. I also tame the bass a bit as it is, so Jim agreed that the 75 would be better for me in the long run.

I'm probably never going to use both speakers live simply because of volume issues, so the 75 was a more sensible choice for me.

14. dbx

dbx Member

Weren't those guys at the Mad Professor booth great!? Did you get a chance to try the Little Green Wonder? I joked with Harri that next year they need to bring a couple of Finnish hotties along to pass out MP swag...

www.custom-sounds.com

;)

15. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

So nothing new at NAMM from bjf?

Mike

16. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

This is another good point to the PGC's favor. It doesn't impose its own EQ curve. I appreciate keeping my mids in tact!

17. themusicboxstudios

can the pgc get pretty squishy?

when i played it at namm i had the compression about half way up. I loved the way the pick attack sounded and the overall clarity it added. It seemed like it could get pretty squishy if tried (hopefully :eek:)

thanks, jon

18. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

Hi Jon,

The PGC starts to get a bit squishy when the compression is all the way UP. That said, the PGC doesn't degrade your basic tone BUT improves it! I was at the MP booth on Thursday, Friday and Saturday but my journey back to Florida was on Sunday so I had to leave. I sure had a great time hanging with Harri, Juha & Eero at the Custom-Sounds booth. What did you think of the solid cedar/solid copper grillcloth MP? Yikes that was beautiful!

Best,
    Dean

19. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I borrowed Frankenstrat2's PGC to compare to my Keeley. It simply blew the latter's doors off in every way -- and the Keeley is a monstrously great comp.

Incredibly versatile and musical.

20. themusicboxstudios

thanks dean, i was hoping it could get slightly squishy. the the clips of the bicomp on the analogman site are way to compressed for me so my standards of squishy are not that high. I loved the way the PGC sounded @ namm because i could hear the pick attack compression (a little ping), but it just sounded right, it wasn't overbearing or annoying. you could tell a compressor was on, but it sounded right, just flawless. Anyways, i can't wait to get it and see how it pairs up with my amp.

do you guys think the PGC will give me what i want?

btw, i may be ordering a honey bee from you soon Dean.

thanks, jon