Palir Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Sloop John B, May 26, 2015.

1. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

I discovered this builder on Instagram and am absolutely hooked! As far as bolt-on relics go, these are some of the coolest I've ever seen. I've been specifically interested in their Titan model:

http://www.palirguitars.com/product/palir-model-t/#

I've seen surprisingly little mention of Palir Guitars here (did a search too, only a handful of results). Does anyone here have any experience with them? Care to share?

Andy from PGS puts one through its paces here:

2. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Member

I have a Palir "T" with what I would call "medium" relic'ing.
    It has Porter pickups, like I guess most of them do. Mine's done in Fiesta Red.

I think mine has a "medium roast" neck - and I will apologize now for all the quotation marks.

I'll start by saying I am pretty skeptical of relic jobs, or at least I was. I've got a couple relic finished guitars now, and while there is a difference in the caliber of the artistry between my Whitfill and my Palir in the area of finishing- small but notable; the more you play one the less enjoyable plastic-fantastic modern Fender finishes feel. Utterly subjective.

So, the Palir has this odd kind of dry finish to the 9.5" neck. The fretwork is really good, the edges have a very nice roll, and the result is a very playable, very comfortable neck. The guitar is pretty lightweight, it resonates nicely, and holds tune and intonation very well.

The relic work on the body, and frankly the neck too with respect to finishing itself, appears less "aged" than, and I hate to say this because it sounds negative when describing a beautifully playing guitar- amateur. Like I might have done the finish work. Well, better than that. Which is fine with me, because it truly is a gorgeous player. The wiring is immaculate, and those Porters are sublimely good. I mean good.

So what I end up with is a sort of homely, like it was meant that way, truly special player of a guitar. It's like once the kid was done with the finish job, the top-notch luthier dressed the frets, set up the action, and adjusted the pickups. I don't think anyone could say it isn't a sweet playing, sweet sounding guitar.

3. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I have 4 Palirs man they are the best deal in custom guitars right now. Get them why they are affordable.

4. bloc

bloc Member

Yeah I just recently discovered this brand too and am totally amazed. I plan on getting a Tele style guitar in the coming years and it's def gonna be a Palir

5. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

@kebotrans Are the Palir Teles in the LSL, more vintage vibe camp compared to Suhr since I see you're a Suhr fanatic as well?

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Local shop has two Palirs in stock, both T-styles, and I got to check them out today. To me, they had a very "Nash" vibe. I don't mean the finish, although they do have a similar over-the-top approach to that as well. But if you play enough Nash's, there's a certain unique quality they have in tone and feel that I've never found in another builder. Until today. The Palirs were very bright, resonant, and twangy. I liked them a lot.

/rick

7. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

My friend had one. All the binding fell off within a couple days. It had several other problems as well. They do take nice pics though.

ZoomP likes this.
  8. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Member

I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend playing this guitar. It's hard to describe it precisely, because it's a sum-of-the-parts kind of thing, but this is really a fine playing instrument. I almost feel guilty being critical of the finishing.

9. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

Just found this thread, I have a 2014 Palir Titan in Fiesta Red with rosewood fretboard and Porter Pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kebotrans likes this.
  10. kebotrans

My Latest Palir

[​IMG]

kev324 and Raymond Lin like this.
  11. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Wow. If you ever want to sell let me know.

12. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

I played one several months ago and really liked it. Their finish and guard options are pretty sweet, IMO.

13. kebotrans

This is my Strat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raymond Lin likes this.