Palleeeeezzzzzzzzeeeeee

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
After reading years worth of threads it has come to my attention that every amp is great and every amp leaves something to be desired. It’s a fools game. And I don’t care what you all think!
What you might not be considering is that everyone's needs / wants are different. What's a deal-breaking shortcoming in an amp for one person might not matter to another. While there's definitely no objectively "best" amp (or any piece of gear for that matter), there's probably one that suits my needs better than others. The same amp might be unusable for you but that doesn't affect its utility for my purposes. :dunno

luv2playm

Supporting Member
The op makes a good point, especially when it comes to topics like "What's the best (desert island, high gain, low gain, low volume, tube, solid state, modeling, etc.) amp." However, for me, and I'm guessing most other tgp'ers, it is helpful and interesting to read detailed reviews and comparisons of various good quality amps by experienced and knowledgeable owners/players, and to compare those to your own impressions of any given amp. Even some of the "What's the best amp" discussions can be helpful and interesting, at least as a place to start considering candidates for the next amp purchase, especially when faced with the amazing variety of amps that are available these days.

Pierce103

Lots of people have never played a Hiwatt, and that's ok, you're still a good person and your mom probably still loves you, but it does lead to some confusion when people start thinking they've found the "best amp" out there without playing a Hiwatt.
/thread

;)
Haha you win!
I have a Hi-Tone JP50 and i agree, i am sorry to everyone but it is just the best amp ever.
Joking of course! But for my silly needs it is #1

EL84 Abuser

However, for me, and I'm guessing most other tgp'ers, it is helpful and interesting to read detailed reviews and comparisons of various good quality amps by experienced and knowledgeable owners/players, and to compare those to your own impressions of any given amp.
Couldn't agree more. :aok

luv2playm

Supporting Member
I have been on this site for years.
I love tgp and all of you fellow gear heads. Most of you know a hell of alot more about gear than i do. But I need to say something.
After reading years worth of threads it has come to my attention that every amp is great and every amp leaves something to be desired. It’s a fools game. And I don’t care what you all think!
As an example of the good aspects of the TGP amp discussions, and as a sincere expression of thanks to the OP, I recently pulled the trigger on a Fargen Olde 800 combo due in part to the OP's positive posts about that amp, and I'm extremely glad I did. It's a great amp for me.

Last edited:

sixty2strat

Lots of people have never played a Hiwatt, and that's ok, you're still a good person and your mom probably still loves you, but it does lead to some confusion when people start thinking they've found the "best amp" out there without playing a Hiwatt.
/thread

;)
MY mom passed before I got my Hiwatt . Guess I'll never know for sure. But I am pretty sure my neighbors hate my Hiwatt, summer and the windows are open. That said I can see why some will hate it, everything is true they say about them except the master volume is more effective then I was told, but I am not looking for Jcm800 or higher gain. I can see why it is not a great amp for some as it screams you missed a note! better work on you picking. While we may love them I sure they get a lot of hate if they were more common, as they have lengthy learning curve