• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Palm Muting and Tune-o-matic/wraparound bridge

DR5Guy

I have been thinking about getting an LP-style guitar for a while. My usual palm resting position is on the bridge, which makes it really easy to switch between unmuted, light muting and heavy palm muting positions. However, Tone-o-matic and wraparound bridges present a problem with this approach. The high-adjustment screw is quite uncomfortable as a support point and becomes painful after a while.

How do you guys deal with that?

Doomrider78

I actually find it better: On my LPs, the bridge being that much higher than the body of the guitar gives my forearm and wrist freedom of movement. I struggle when I go back to my Strat and PRS where the bridge is essentially flat to the body of the guitar.

I don't find the bridge uncomfortable at all. Perhaps you could try relaxing your forearm a bit more and not put so much pressure on the bridge?

jackaroo

I’m 40 years into this guitar thing...the only bridge screws that ever gave me a hard time are on my strat. I had my tech smooth them out and cut them to length.

Question...are you talking about the saddle piece that each string rests in? The low E as given me a little trouble. Again...5 minutes with a file or a bit of sandpaper fixed it. Granted that was a graphite saddle (I was breaking strings) but it was kinda sharp...

I will say that changing between carved topped and flat topped Electrics has never been a problem for me personally, but I can see some guys having a preference. That makes sense.

Could you post a picture of the part of the TOM that’s vexing you?

AxemanVR

Silver Supporting Member

I don’t recall ever really thinking about it - I just got use to it I guess...

Last edited:

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
Tough to find but, you could set your sights on a single cut style guitar with a recessed tune O-Matic so you can adjust it’s height to your picking position.

Rio

Platinum Supporting Member
A good fret dressing file from StewMac can fill a number of roles, including taking sharp edges off of almost anything (but hopefully, not your playing).

I had to take down the outer corner of a nut because a SRV-style snatch ftom fifth position down to first was going to draw blood.

Rio

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The high-adjustment screw is quite uncomfortable
You must meant saddle corner. Easily fixed.
I can't think of any guitar that allows palm muting better than an LP.
The strings sit proud of the saddles and the bridge is high enough such that one's hand and fingers do not have to assume a special position to mute.

Gclef

TOM bridges >strat type bridges for palm muting.

I have to think more on a strat. TOM types are more natural and easy to mute on.

markmann

I play both and adapt to both but I find the Gibsons to be more comfortable to rest and palm mute.

Trending Topics