• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Palm muting w/Floyd - more sensitive to position/technique?

brewhound

I just got a guitar with a Floyd. I started playing a few years ago and I have two other guitars - one with a TOM and one with a vintage-style trem. On my other guitars I can easily get palm mute sounds I'm happy with without worrying too much about where my hand is.

On the Floyd guitar, though, there seems to be only a very small area right over the bridge where I can mute without killing the tone entirely. Maybe I've just developed sloppy technique and this will be good for me, but I was wondering if this is common or if it could be due to setup issues.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Pitch can change since Floyds can be more touchy. But what you are saying seems you just need to move your hand back a touch on the bridge.

brewhound

It's not a pitch change so much as it gets excessively muted if I'm not right over the bridge. Goes to more of a dull "click" than the punchy "thump" I'm expecting, if you know what I mean.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
It's not a pitch change so much as it gets excessively muted if I'm not right over the bridge. Goes to more of a dull "click" than the punchy "thump" I'm expecting, if you know what I mean.
Sounds like your hand is too forward on the bridge. Move it back a little.

bullet69

anchor the side of your palm on the low E side of the post. then practice varying the pressure til you get the level of muting your looking for. by keeping the pressure inline with the post you wont have the pitch problems and your muting pressure will be more consistent. it will get to where you dont even think about it.

NR2112

It is about pressure I think. I believe youd usually want most of the fat of the bottom of your hand to be on the bridge. I like to apply a lot of pressure then.

Maybe try more springs in the back of the guitar to tighting things up... And make sure the trem is even with the body of the guitar. That has messed things WAY up for me before. :)

Floyds are trickey, but once you have tamed the beast, you wont want to go back!!

Bleak

It's possible that you're used to just digging in a little too hard for the tune-o-matic style bridges and whatnot. I'm guilty of it, too, at times. Just keep playing at it. It'll be second nature before long, and all of your palm muting will be consistently good from guitar to guitar.

And out of curiosity, what guitar did you get?

baimun

We're assuming you mean on a floating Floyd.... if you're using a Charvel, Ernie Ball, or similar guitar that is set for down only, you can palm mute to your heart's content.

There are several devices on the market that allow a flip or set screw in the spring cavity to set your dive only, so you can even set a floater to dive only... and then change the setting later if you want full float.

brewhound

I messed around with the guitar and I think I just need to practice being more consistent with my technique. The action is low, but not so low that I'm pushing the strings against the frets when I mute. The low E clearance at the 17th fret measures about 2/64. I get a little buzz unplugged but it doesn't seem worth shimming the neck for.
The guitar is a USACG that I built myself, and the Floyd is pulled down tight against the body in back so it isn't floating. That's why I can't really raise the bridge - it's about level where it sits. Here's a pic. (By the way that isn't dust - it's the reflection from the metallic flakes in the paint).

yngwie308

yngwie308

You're welcome, for me a Floyd Rose Original is best as a top mount, Gary Moore, Steve Stevens, EVH, these guys know their stuff and I concour.
The Ibanez Lo Pro trem design is better suited to recessed placement and their design is great, then again Gotoh's Floyd is also great.:dude:dude
The classic designs of the eighties for a Charvel Strathead have yet to be improved on, the same with the classics of the fifties, the Strat and Les Paul..:BEER
yngwie308

bullet69

Nice guitar reminds me of a Charvel Model 4 I had back in the day. It was also black with a maple neck and a floyd. I sure miss it.

baimun

I messed around with the guitar and I think I just need to practice being more consistent with my technique. The action is low, but not so low that I'm pushing the strings against the frets when I mute. The low E clearance at the 17th fret measures about 2/64. I get a little buzz unplugged but it doesn't seem worth shimming the neck for.
The guitar is a USACG that I built myself, and the Floyd is pulled down tight against the body in back so it isn't floating. That's why I can't really raise the bridge - it's about level where it sits. Here's a pic. (By the way that isn't dust - it's the reflection from the metallic flakes in the paint).

Have to say.... as I've been putting Charvels and Charvel-type mods together for 20+ years.... and that is a really really sweet piece. Well done. :)

Trending Topics