Palmer PDI-03 or THD Hot Plate ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneZappa, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

PALMER PDI-03 or THD HOT PLATE

Please help......... Anybody have any first hand experience on either of these devices !!! I need to record a cranked amp late at night (early morning) without getting the police involved. :worried

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I wasn't happy with the palmer and the THD isn't really a speaker simulator so you will need to use software speaker sims with it but it's great if you do that.

3. wladok

wladok Member

Which software speaker sims do you recommend? I am currently doing this using Logic's guitar amp pro as a speaker sim. But I'd rather used just a speaker sim without the color of the amp model.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

or get a pritchard amp :) the output from the DI is ridiculous.

5. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I just picked up a Palmer PGA-04 (NOS unit - black face with teal lettering) and think it sounds great. It was recommended to my by a VERY popular guitarist that says he uses it all the time on his recordings. Beats the crap out of using a modeling amp!!

6. jzucker

Clips please!

7. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I try to record some today...

8. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

Hey ToneZappa,
    I get very good results with the combination of a Palmer PDI-09 and Weber attenuator. I've got an MP3 that I could send you via email if you want (I've never posted sound files).

9. jzucker

that'd be great. Thanks! :)

10. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Thanks Andrew never heard of them before, had a look at the website they have alot going for them. But I need a power soak and speaker sim for different amps. :AOK

I,ve never used the PGA-04 in theory it should be the best one Palmer do (looking at the controls). I have a Palmer PDI-05 (stereo speaker sim but without the power soak) I only use it for D.I. of pedals and multi FXs and live as a feed to the desk (sound guys are always happy with it)

As Jack Zucker asked a soundclip of the PGA would be really handy !!! I happen to have a soundclip of the PDI-05 on the members soundclips page here right now. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=354523 read the blurb for the setup (solo guitar only) its a rock sound.

11. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Tweeker hey thanks I got your soundclip it sounds good but its not really a typical guitar sound (meaning not so many effects would have been better and no wah etc).........but many thanks, nice one.:AOK