Palmer PDI-09 Attenuation question

jwnc

HI,

Just curious how good the attenuation is on the Junction? I want to get one to record the DI at home, how good is the 30db drop in sound? I don't want to mic the amp but just want to use it to lower the volume out of the cabinet.

Any thoughts from owners on this?
Thanks
Jason

tonyhay

Hi Jason,
I have a PD09, use it all the time instead of a mike live. It actually doesn't really attenuate at all - its purpose is really only as a replacment for a mike into the PA. The 'attenuator' settings are to adjust the signal output level depending on whether you're using a pre-amp, a low-watt power amp, or a large power amp. If you put it on the wrong setting, you get a signal output that's either too hot or too low. (I use a 50w amp and the 30db setting).

The PD-09 has no effect at all on what comes out of the amp's speaker, and it has no speaker load. There are other Palmer products that include a speaker load (the PD-09 doesn't)...they might be more helpful for silent recording etc.

Hope it helps.

jwnc

Tony,

Thanks.. I didn't realize that.. It makes sense now..

Thanks so much.
Jason

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the above. for silent recording i use the "Junction" in conjunction with a weber mass attenuator, which i flip to a dummy load level. then i set the "attenuator" on the junction to taste going out to my apogee duet.

jwnc

Thanks.. I was just wanted to try to capture my amp and use my vast IR collection on the computer to see if its worth doing this. I think honestly I may just buy the Behringer GI100, its the same thing as the junction but it will let me bypass the cab modeling so I can use my own. I can just put some blankets in front of the cabinet to lower the volume. I don't run the amp very loud anyway.

btg

I did as jahn described for a long time with the PDI-09 and a Weber mini-mass. About 6 months ago a bought a Tech 21 Blonde pedal that works better for me as a direct input device.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Nice, just read this thread about all the mods you can do to a Tech21 Character pedal.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/683732

Tempting to go to the "next level!" I especially like that headphone out idea - silent practice without having to always turn on my macbook and weave the duet in and use its headphone out...

Trending Topics