Palmer PGA-04 vs Motherload MK 1 clips

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tonefreak, Jul 27, 2005.

1. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

2. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

Cool clips!

FWIW
    I like the palmer clean best, nice cleans but not too brittle.
    The Motherload clean are a bit too bright for my taste.
    It sounds like you actually changed guitars instead of speaker sims.
    The dirty clips sounded very alike too me. Much harder to tell the difference or to tell which one is bright or not.

btw. I listen on JBL laptop speakers, which I use for reference on my own mixes as well. If it sounds good on the laptop, it'll sound good anywhere! :D

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Remember, the Motherload has an EQ section that you can tweak to your liking... Palmer does not.

You need to listen to the clips on better speakers to hear the difference in the Dirty Clips... they are very different.

4. elambo

elambo Member

Thanks for making those MP3s.

I just listened on high quality speakers and there certainly are differences between the two Dirty clips.

One problem with the fact that you've eq'd to taste is that you've injected subjectivity. You've eq'd to YOUR taste, which is nice by the way, but your taste is different than mine and possbly some others. It would be one thing to set the Motherload to sound as much like a cab as possible, but it's different than the Suhr/Naylor sound I'm used to, so I'm assuming that you attempted to further improve on the sound. Better for you, perhaps, but not necessarilyfor me.

And the PGA-04 does actually have quite a few tone shaping options. There's a "color" button (brown and lite), low and high "voicing", and I also thought there was a way to blend the cab tone with the full range tone. I could be wrong. In any case, there's a lot you can do adjust the tone, just as with the Motherload.

I prefer the Palmer in both cases. It's less of a factor to me on the clean clips, but on the dirty sounds I feel a lot better about the Palmer. It's much closer to the sound that I'd want from a Suhr/Naylor combo. I'm very familiar with that guitar and that amp - great stuff!

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Thanks... these are about a year old now.

I hear you about trying to get as close to a cabinet as possible, but at the time I didn't have one! :D I was totally depending on the Palmer and Motherload to give me the goods.

About 4 months after I made these clips, I took my amp to Doug Roccaforte for it's yearly check-up. He plugged the Naylor into one of his 4x12 cabinets... OMG! That was the first time I heard the Naylor though a speaker cabinet!!

I made my 'silent' box that I drop my 1x12 in, double mic'd and never looked back since.

BTW... I'll try to find the clips where I made the Motherload sound just like the Palmer! If you have a chance, try the Motherload... I believe you will be surprised just how flexible the unit is!

6. elambo

elambo Member

I know how that feels to play in front of a cab, with actual air being pushed into your body, instead of listening to an amp through a cab sim and monitors. There's no substitute.

A couple of days ago I plugged a guitar I hadn't played in a while into my main amp, this time with a cabinet, and couldn't put the guitar down. It's not that I was particulary enjoying the actual playing, it was the sound itself. The guitar was a Suhr LE and the amp a TR Custom Sig with TR cab. I could strum a chord, let it ring, and just listen to all the detail. Absolutely amazing (not to make this a Suhr or TR thread, but a nod to using live cabs). I'm not expecting to get that same feeling with a cab simulator, but I'd like to get as close to that as possible.