Palmer PGA-05 and Triaxis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soundmuppet, Mar 7, 2015.

1. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Saw that these had been reduced and picked one up off Amazon at around 50% off with free shipping. I use a pair of PGA-04 units at home for my Mesa 5:25 and Hot Rod Delux III to let me play at bedroom/headphone levels and have been more than happy with the results.

I also have a Mesa Triaxis and the Recording out is a little on the dark side. I decided to get the PGA-05 to offer up the ability to choose how I wanted things to sound a little more. I seriously considered a two notes unit, but I like the Palmer gear so I jumped at the deal.

Really happy I did, it's astonishing, the Triaxis has really come alive, it's like there is a change in the dynamics of the unit and it's way more alive and present than with the recording output. Even with a clean setting and a drive pedal in front, the amp seems to respond to the picking much better and has a much nicer attack and sustain. All this without having done any real tuning to suit the new setup yet. Obviously, using the main output is a different signal path, but the speaker simulator does seem to wake things up a little.

I know the Palmer gear is not as popular in these parts, but I'm a happy user, it's clean and simple....just the way I like it! Looking forward to recording some new material with the band using this setup.

Anyone else using the Palmer stuff? Happy with it?

2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Heck yeah. I have two PDI-03's in my main rack and I couldn't live without them. My recorded tones are big, beefy, and super punchy. I have zero desire to monkey around with a microphone any longer not to mention...I can run two 100w heads into my pair of PDI-03's set as a loadbox for SILENT stage volume or recording!

3. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

I agree....we run direct to the board as well....it certainly reduced the 'level wars'. I used one of my Palmers with my Express 5:25 rack mounted for a while, sounded great.