Palmer rereleases PDI-03!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elambo, Oct 1, 2005.

1. elambo

elambo Member

This is going to sound like spam - I already know it - but I don't work for them. I've been trying to find an original PDI-03 for a couple years but couldn't. Too hard to come across and WAY too expensive. I placed bids on a couple but my maximum was outbid quickly.

Palmer is just now starting to roll out a rereleased 03 speaker simulator with all of the original specs, down to the knobs and switches, which took them quite a while to track down. I've heard what they went through to ensure that this rerelease is exactly like the originals and I'm comfortable that they'll sound and function identically.

Mine arrived a few days ago and it's wonderful. I may still record with a cab from time to time, but not often. Doesn't seem necessary at the moment.

FWIW, these can accept 100 watts at 8 ohms and have a few tone shaping options to simulate different types of cabs. For the most part, I've been using the Flat settings.

2. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Cool, as the originals are going for huge $$$ on ebay. Wasn't there a lawsuit that stopped them from selling the originals? Anyway, I'll definitely be in the market for one.

Where can I find a new one?

3. elambo

elambo Member

There WAS a lawsuit, and from what I've heard it was bogus - a large company bullying a small company that made a better product. Palmer didn't have the money to defend themselves, so they stopped making them. The patent has expired so there no longer an issue, regardless of their original intent.

4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have one I bought in 1996. I didn't know they are so sought after, but it is the best I've used. Just curious, how much have they been going for?

5. reaiken

reaiken Member

That was Aspen Pittman/Groove Tubes that sued them, wasn't it?

Randall Aiken

6. elambo

elambo Member

I've seen some go for over $2k on ebay. Most go for around $1200 or $1300. But now the originals won't be worth nearly as much. It would be one thing if the design of the rerelease fell short, but it didn't - it's the same.

7. elambo

elambo Member

I don't know about Aspen Pittman specifically, but it was Groove Tubes. Would Aspen have been the person responsible for pursuing legal action at Groove Tubes at that time?

8. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

anyone know where to find one of the new ones?

9. elambo

elambo Member

Sorry - you asked me that before didn't you? Jams Audio should have them, or if they don't they soon will. Website is palmergear.com

10. js54

js54 Member

elambo,

Do you have any audio clips using this new Palmer?

I wonder what would be a better solution, tonally, for recording in an apartment - the Palmer or something like a Demeter Silent Speaker cab?

11. KLB

KLB Member

I am not familiar with either the PDI-03 or PGA-04. They both do the same functional thing -- speaker simulator with load box and thru capability -- but the PGA-04 has more apparent versatility.

I wonder why the PDI-03 costs the same as the PGA-04? ($540)

Does the PDI-03 sound better than the PGA-04?

Can't the PGA-04 be adjusted to sound the same?

- Ken

12. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Thanks for the tip, elambo. I just ordered one from jams. TGP strikes again!

I've watched ebay for a long time for one of these, but the prices they were fetching were just too crazy. It's still not cheap but goes for about a third of what the old ones were going for.

I had the pga-04 and wasn't wild about it. I had the sequis motherload (version 1) and wasn't wild about that either. They were great with low to medium gain, but I was never able to dial out the fizziness of the top end when using higher gain amps. I know that they're popular, but just didn't work for me.

I'm hoping that the different circuit of the pdi-03 will do the trick. I'm also going to eventually try the new version of the motherload.

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The PGA-04 doesn't even come close. Here's a recording that was entirely plexi Marshall into the PDI-03. It has some straight guitar into amp, but also tracks built up with Octavia, Hot Cake and Rat for the solo.
    Dreadboots
    No speaker was used at all, real speakers do sound better, but this is decent tone for late night recording and not worrying about room acoustics or getting the sound of a plane flying by.

14. KLB

KLB Member

Kelly,
    I liked that one! I downloaded it to my hard drive for future replay. Thanks.

Your whammyisms reminded me of TGP's Iluvstrats.

Those were some good tones, clean and dirty.

I'll take you guys word for it that the PDI-03 is 'mo better.
    However...

When I read the interview with the designer Martin Schmitz on JAMS Audio, I got the impression the main difference is the tone switches on the PDI-03 were replaced with potentiometers on the PGA-04, to vary the degree of filtering. Plus, the PGA-04 has an unfiltered line out, too.

As for "dialing out fizziness" with high gain and brite distorted tones, isn't that what a cranked quad of Greenbacks is for? :cool:

- Ken

15. fatback

fatback Member

16. js54

js54 Member

sounds pretty good for no speaker.

17. elambo

elambo Member

The designer himself will tell you that the PGA-04 is like an 03 but with more tone shaping options. In theory, it SHOULD be better.

I have no reason to doubt him, but I bought the 04 first and used it for only one day, then returned it. It was nice, but not great. That's my opinion. There was an odd distortion (not tube distortion, more like digital distortion or overloaded guitar pedals) that I couldn't deal with. I've only been able to use the newest 03 for one day but it's like a breath of fresh air compared to the others I've used.

FWIW, I also have two PDI-09s, which are (supposed to be) an 03 without the load. They are very good, but again, not as nice as this rereleased 03. They still exhibit some of that distortion sound.

(This distotion isn't major, but it's there, in varying amounts depending on the type of amp you run through it.)

Why is the 03 so much better? I don't have the answer, but it's almost unanimously stated by anyone who's compared them that the 03 is a far and away winner among all speaker sims.

Congrats tiltrite. I think you'll love it.

18. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

My experience exactly.

Thanks, elambo; I'm looking forward to trying out the pdi-03.

19. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Thanks for the kind words. That's the only piece I recorded with the PDI-03.

20. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Cool track; I like the way it builds. I also would not have thought it was silent/direct in signal.