Palomino V16 noise????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by customstrat, Jan 25, 2008.

1. customstrat

customstrat Member

Hey all,

Has anyone experienced the hum or drone when the volume is cranked up on a V16? I get to 5 on mine and it starts. It does it with or without an guitar plugged in. Any remedies? It's not very loud but noticeable enough that it bugs me.

Also, I am looking to increase the clean and get more headroom but also get a fat blues tone when cranked. Any suggestions on tube and what positions to put them in. I dumped the Sovtek's for GT 12AX7C 's but left the GT in V1.

The amp seemed a little to gainy for me with the Sovtek's. The hum was there before I switched the tubes and after.

2. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Is the amp near any other electrical appliance or lighting? I always get hum when my amp is near a TV etc. I have the V16 with JJ's in it and a V30; not in love with the tone at the moment so i'm leaving it sit.

3. customstrat

customstrat Member

Nope. The amp is the only thing running in the room. The outlet is on an outside wall and runs almost direct to the breaker box. I made sure the other outlet on the same breaker was unplugged.

4. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Doees it go away when V1 is pulled?

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

The JJ loaded V16 that I recently bought is pretty quiet - not 100%, but no noticable/nagging hum.

I removed C38 and am running JJ 12AT7s in both V1 and V2 for a fat, clean tone with plenty of headroom. With an AT7 in V1 and an AX7 in V2, the amp still has good headroom - tonally, it offers more of the EL84 spank - the AT7 in both positions (1 & 2) helps to kill this (which is what I was after).

6. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I had that problem with my V32. I slightly loosened the screws on the reverb tank and it went away.

7. customstrat

customstrat Member

It must be the reverb tank. Hum stays in the V1 position.

Any speaker recommendations? My buddy has a new Vintage 30 16 ohm for 80 bucks.

8. soulohio

soulohio Member

i got a celestion blue in mine. the more i play and hear it the more it stays in the lineup. one thing, the V16 loses a bit when it is turned up LOUD.

9. gdgross

gdgross Member

Mine has the stock speaker, but I often run it into a cab with a red fang. Very nice.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

V32 here with an Emi Tonespotter and old stock pre and power tubes. Wow the amp sounds fantastic! I like a lot of gain available so I dont try lower gain tubes besides I get enough gain reduction with the gain control. Its amazing the sound the thing gets with the master cranked and the gain at about 10 oclock. Very marshally growl that cleans up very nicely with the guitar volume. Im surprized the 12AT7's dont thin out your sound. Ive yet to sub the for a 12AX7 where they sounded very good-too thin. Perhaps the mod you did changes that.

OP- Not sure hat the hum is about but you might try a 5751 in the V1 and /or V2. They seem to sound a bit warmer when subbed for a 12AX7. That said Ive all but given up on subbing lower gain tubes as the amp usually just sounds better with the tube it was designed for. Lower gain tubes have different parameters other than gain that affect the overall tone. The 5751 is closest to a 12AX7 with those other specifications. Bob