palomino v32 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by C3tele-guru, Apr 8, 2008.

1. C3tele-guru

C3tele-guru Member

tell me everything you know about it. tone, od, speaker type, etc.
    im leaning tword this amp instead of a peavey classic 30.

i can get on for bout 300.00 on ebay, used, but taken care of very well.

HELP ME!

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

There's a pretty deep thread devoted to this topic already. I come down solidly on the V32 side, having owned a few of both. The Palomino is sweeter sounding, with a much "livelier" feel. I think it compares favorably to some boutique amps 3 times the price. To my ears, the Peavey sounds harsh across the board. I guess some dig the "rudeness' of the Peavey, but to my ears it's just irritating. I think the Palomino would be a great amp if it only had the clean channel. With a tube upgrade, it's just fantastic.

3. C3tele-guru

C3tele-guru Member

4. scott1568

scott1568 Member

That is a 30 watt amp, it's just the 2 x 12 version instead of 1 x 12.

5. Chukster

Chukster Member

I just got the V32H, the head-only version of this amp. I'm so far impressed with the clean and overdrive channels - I can see using this amp at a gig with just the footswitch supplied with the amp and leaving the pedalboard home. The cleans are nice and chimey, and the overdrive maxxed gives a nice grind that works very well with LP-style guitars. These are on clearance at GC for a very low price, and are definitely worth considering.

6. C3tele-guru

C3tele-guru Member

yea but the thing is, it only comes as a 1x12, there is no 2x12 option. thats why im curious as to why its a 212.

is it just modified or what?

7. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

There is a 2X12 V32 at GC in Cleveland right now. They came in both a 1X12 and 2X12 version with 30 watts.

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I just picked up a V3112 (same as the V32 but in black/silver) this last week. Played it at rehearsal and I was pretty impressed. Sat in the mix nice and let me give my Mark IV a break (Trying to downsize gear for gigs). Of course it's not my Mark IV, but I didn't feel like it was lacking and was a different flavor.

Want to play with tubes and speakers sometime down the road, but I'm not in a rush. If I can find a neo speaker to put in there that will work and get it under 40lbs (Trying to carry lighter gear too. Save my energy for PLAYING!), it'll be the PERFECT grab and go IMO.

I got mine on for $369 ($400 out the door) at a "Discontinued" price with full warranty. Pretty hard to beat!

:dude

9. bynt

bynt Member

Classic 30 is a great amp for the money but I also lean towards the Palomino.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Had my US made V32 for 2 years now and it stacks up to much more expensive gear I own.Great amp! Dont know personally about the newer versions(foreign made,sitching power supplies etc) but they great great reviews too. Bob

11. telewacker

telewacker Member

12. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Yes, they are worth what they are currently selling for. No doubt.

13. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

Telewacker,
    So your amp must have a standard Power transformer in it? I wonder what the switching PS looks like?

14. Chukster

Chukster Member

I saw a 2x12 30 watt version at GC as well - it was on clearance for something like $370.00, but I wanted the head version to pair with the appropriate 8 ohm cabinet for whatever size room we were playing.

15. telewacker

telewacker Member

Yup, standard PT.