palomono V32 with RCA 6BQ5's!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just replaced the unknown old stock Baldwin 6BQ5's in my Palomino with RCA 6BQ5's and while the Baldwins were nice the RCA's are awesome! They are tighter,meatier,punchier while imparting a thick crunch! Im able to fully crank the master and run up the gain a bit and they hold together without getting mushy. Very impressive-fatter thicker distortion at louder volumes.Yum! Best Ive tried so far! FWIW- Ive got a Mullard in the V1,Tele smooth plate V2 and Tele smooth plate in the PI. I think the tubes might be worth as much as the amp! lol! Bob

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Double the value of the amp! :D Hey.. I was thinking about trying a palomino, can they get that compressed OD tones as well ?

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Mine gets that compressed sound without sounding too mushy with the RCA's. I bought mine in 06. Dragged it into the "loud" room at GC and loved it. It only got better with a speaker change and tubes.The latest V series use a '"switching power supply". not sure if thats a good thing. This 1x12 V32 like mine seems to be still available. Mines a US model Im not sure about this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomin...-Combo-Amp-487828-i1146112.gc?source=4WWRWXGB

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Bob! I think I will give one a try.

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

American made 6BQ5's RAWK!!! I love those old RCA's, great tubes. A set of Baldwins that I have, I think they're Sylvania's, also sound really good, but not quite as good as the RCA's. Great tubes!!!

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

very interesting...my V16 gets 'mushy' when I turn it up loud...could this be the stock tubes? I actually like the sound better at low volumes and the heralded power tube crunch don't happen with my stock tube setup...I do have NOS tubes in the preamp section...

7. mkg

mkg Member

I have GE 6bq5s in my Goodsell, really like 'em.
    I wonder if GE made the RCAs, too?

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I dont believe so. These RCA's have RCA ethcing on them. Great tubes! Bob

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I have to wonder if it's the BRAND of the tubes or the CONDITION of the tubes that made the biggest difference. Any idea who made the Baldwins?

10. soulohio

soulohio Member

did you have to bias the amp with the new power tubes?

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Mike I posted a thread about the Baldwins. No one could ID them.Im imagining they are Japanese perhaps. They have plenty of life in them though.Heres a link.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=316933

Bob

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The V32 is cathode biased. No real need to bias but its good to check. The cathode resistor runs it a bit too hot but Im not about to replace it at the moment. Its idling at 13 atts dissapation. 11-12 would be better. Bob

13. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Hey Rockon,
    Could you tell us how to check that resistor and what to look for? I have a multimeter, know how to discharge caps, and very cautious when dealing with this stuff.

thanks,
    Scott