Panama guitar cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Magicpad, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

2. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

bump.... haaaaaalp!

3. kbgear

kbgear Member

I just picked up a Panama Conqueror 5, which is a combo in what I think is essentially their S12 cabinet, but openish-back.

With their aged V30-ish speaker (AV30) the cabinet sounds great -- plenty of bass but it's nice and tight. It's built very solidly, and the removable grill fits very well and doesn't rattle (no rattles at all). And the baffle is beautiful.

I'd expect their "oversize" cabs would have even more bass extension for heavier music, but I can't really fault the standard cab even for that. The cabinet is definitely modern construction, so unless you're looking for a very old-school vintage cabinet I'd definitely recommend their cabs. At least from my limited experience.

Given that it also has an adjustable resistive load, I wouldn't object too much to paying $399 for their 1x12", much less this entire combo. At the prices they're offering, it really seems like their cabs (and the Conqueror 5) are a no-brainer.

HIH!

4. MJRII

MJRII Supporting Member

BUMP! Specifically, does anyone have anything to say about the Conqueror 5? For 400 bucks it sounds/looks great, but then again you can get a silverface Fender Champ for that much.

5. bealtown

bealtown Member

Carcosa, Hali Lakeside Prefecture, Hyades
    Can't find any news or reviews about the Panama Guitars "BFB" Custom Driver (British Fauxnico Bright) G12 - 50W - 8ohm, which sounds intriguing for its magnetic composition and pricepoint.
    I like the idea of another foreign manufactury which is not Asian. I can see no reason Central Americans can't make good guitar gear.

Kingslayer likes this.
  6. bealtown

bealtown Member

Reverb is offering a 25% discount on them right now, that makes them $60, + shipping out of Hayward, CA. Temptingly low price but I can't for the life of me find anything written about them.

7. mark123

mark123 Member

I was researching Panama cabs awhile back and was just about to order a few when 2 Mesa 1x12's cabs showed up on Craigslist I got for $200/ea. I did bookmark Gear God's shootout of the Panama cabs. It's amazing to hear the difference between their different models. Just have to get past the really cheesy opening of the video.

8. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I had the BFM. Nice smooth top end. Really smoothed out the harshness of the Celestion VX12 in a VOX AC4C1-12

9. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Their stuff looks great but I've read mixed reviews about the build quality.

10. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

ive read theyre very low quality. their stuff is extremely inexpensive, only explanation i can come up with is panamanian prison labor.

11. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

I have one of their BOCA compact 2x10 cab's. It was a B-Stock cab they had discounted, along with 25% off at the time, so it ended up being $124 shipped. That was the best price I could find on just about any cab, much less a decent looking 2x10, which is exactly what I was hoping to find. Right now I'm running a Quilter 101 head through it, and I've been pretty please. Overall finish quality on the exterior is pretty decent, interior less so. I opened up the cab when I first got it to see how the speakers were mounted and there was some pretty rough work inside. Not sure if that's typical or not, but wouldn't be surprised if it was, especially for their closed back cabs where they're hoping nobody is going to pop the back off.

All that said, the cab does sound great with the Quilter. Just this past week I've been using in some auditions with a really loud local band, so I've been pushing the cab pretty hard. No rattles or weird sounds out of it yet. I'm pretty happy with it overall, eventually will probably change out the speakers to better handle the Quilter's power. It's probably not going to compare to a well made cabinet in terms of build or sound quality. But it doesn't sound like garbage to me either. The speakers seem pretty decent, I thought I had read somewhere that they come out of the same factory as Warehouse Guitar Speakers, but don't quote me on that.

My take is if you are in the market for a budget cabinet and want something that looks a bit nicer than your average cheap, beat-to-**** cab off of craigslist, it's a solid way to go. If you're going that direction, keep an eye on Reverb, they do pretty decent sales on them all the time, and at some of those prices, you literally can't find a cheaper cab shipped to your door new. As always, YMMV.

12. bealtown

bealtown Member

Yikes! Worse than China's Foxconn where they had to put a fence around the lip of the roof to prevent the workers from jumping.

13. kbgear

kbgear Member

From what I understand, the cabs themselves are made in Panama but electronics and speakers are made in China. The cab I have is solid and seems well-built, though you obviously can't see under the tolex for construction details.

I swapped their V30-ish speaker with a Creamback M65 which made a huge difference. I'm not a fan of V30s in general (especially for a Champ circuit), but otherwise the speaker seemed fine.

Overall, they're great "modern" style cabs with a unique look at prices that allow you to put in your own speakers. If the looks aren't your thing and you have a little more money in your pocket, getting a cab made in your own country is probably better overall, IMHO.

14. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

Just wanted to follow up with an issue worth considering on Panama cabs: for the Boca series and the Road series, the speakers are not easily replaced. I need some higher powered speakers for my set up in my 2x10 cab, and I opened it back up and realized the speakers are front mounted to the "floating" baffle. The baffle supports are screwed in and then it looks like some sort of clear epoxy as been applied around the edges. Because the front metal grill is sandwiched and glued into place, the only way to change the speakers out is to cut the epoxy out behind the baffle or cut out the metal grill. I found this video of how somebody cut through the epoxy to get to the speakers on their Panama Boca 2x10

I also ran into a review that noted the wholes cut for their 12" speakers were smaller than the typical 12" opening to front mount a speaker. So they had mount the new speaker to the rear of the baffle.

I will say, the interior wasn't as rough as I remember when i opened it up last night to see about switching the speakers. I'm still happy with my 2x10, and I'll probably be modifying it anyway, but I figured it would be good to know for anyone considering getting a Panama Cab.

manicompression likes this.
  15. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Member

I have the Shaman and 212 stereo with Purplebacks. Its awesome. I won a BFB from Panama and it gets here tomorrow. I'm gonna swap a Purpleback out with it. Ill let ya know how it sounds.