1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Panning Speaker Effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by seanthomas46, Mar 2, 2006.

1. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

Hi, I'm actually in the Univibe market. I've read a history that the univibe was originally created to be a leslie sim which it failed at.
    What I've always really wanted was a panning speaker effect, one which moves your sound from left to right. Can a univibe achieve this? What unit can?

2. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

are you talking like a ping pong stereo delay effect?

3. what?

what? Member

I've got an old Boss PN-2 which is basically a tremollo and panning effects in one. I'ts got two stereo output. When you plugged it into two amps using the stereo outputs you'll get the panning effect, making the sound to go from one amp to the other, you can also set the rate and waves.

4. ewa

ewa Member

The best stereo panning univibe/rotating speaking effect I have heard is the new Chopper (gigfx.com) with a simple analog flanger before it. Simply amazing! ewa

5. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

that wouldn't happen to be Ewa Beach would it?

6. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

Yeah, I guess a ping pong effect. Preferably a controllable pan from left to right with a wah type pedal (Just like the Chopper!). Now I have to save for that as well.
    the boss sounds interesting, I'll look into it.
    Would this pan work with an exstention cab and amp or only with stereo amps?
    Know of any other panning effects?

7. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

to clear things up. I'm looking for something that will move my sound at the same volume from left to right (either speaker to speaker or amp to cab or amp to amp like a balance change in stereo)
    Not volume in and out and not a pulse.

8. amper

amper Member

Dunlop makes a stereo "Tremelo" pedal that can do the panning thing, and Ernie Ball has a stereo Volume/Pan pedal.

9. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Gmajor with an expression pedal. Theres a preset where you can do this if you have it output into a wet stereo pair. Then use the expression pedal to vary the rate. At the slowest speeds it's very hypnotic. Preset #47 I think?

10. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I used to use Boss processors in stereo and the panning left/right effect always made me kind of sick.

If you are using two amps and you want a really nice 3 dimensional sound, try a Boss DD-20 in either the pan or mod mode. It does really nice things in stereo.

The Boss Dimensional choruses or Dreamtone chorus also really take good advantage of stereo.

As far as Univibe goes, My Mojovibe doesn't have stereo outs. The Rotosphere does and it can get things spinning in stereo. I assume the Line 6 and Boss rotary pedals can too. DLS does too but it's pretty subtle. Destination Rotation has two outputs but they seem to work on frequencies more than panning.

John

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've played with this a little. I've got a Rotosphere, a Digitech RPM, a stereo Deja Vibe and a Guyatone Flip Tremelo/Pan. I've owned stereo choruses (chori?), flangers and the PN2 (which is digital and noisy IMHO). For a straight pan at a single volume, the Guyatone is the best-it's quiet, doesn't color your sound a lot and has flexibility whether you get a hard switch or a softer movement of the sound. There's no 'swirl' though, so if you're pretending to be a Leslie (with the doppler kind of effect) it won't do the job. You could add some swirl with a Flanger or Phaser before the tremelo, but if that's what you want a stereo chorus, vibe or the Rotosphere will work better. The best stand alone sim may well be the RPM because it has separate outputs for the stereo horns and a mono woofer (so you have a center amp that's sort of phasing at one rate, and stereo amps panning at another) but it is rackmount and digital.