Pantera performed last night for the 1st time in over 20 years!

How is it Pantera without the brothers?

The same way it’s Metallica without Cliff, Skid Row without Sebastian Bach, etc. I really don’t know why people get so wound up, Phil has the ability legally and otherwise to use the name and he was the frontman and an integral part of it. The brothers are dead, and all this tour does is bring the music they made and loved to people who would not have otherwise had the chance to hear it live.

No one seeing these shows is under any false impression, they know they’re seeing 2 original members alongside a guitarist and drummer who were close friends with the brothers and want to honor their legacy.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
The same way it’s Metallica without Cliff, Skid Row without Sebastian Bach, etc. I really don’t know why people get so wound up, Phil has the ability legally and otherwise to use the name and he was the frontman and an integral part of it. The brothers are dead, and all this tour does is bring the music they made and loved to people who would not have otherwise had the chance to hear it live.

No one seeing these shows is under any false impression, they know they’re seeing 2 original members alongside a guitarist and drummer who were close friends with the brothers and want to honor their legacy.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. However, it was their band. Pantera was Dime and Vinny. It is like Van Halen without Ed and Alex.

msquared

Digital Sheen
Platinum Supporting Member
The same way it’s Metallica without Cliff, Skid Row without Sebastian Bach, etc.
I'd argue that Metallica without Cliff is a completely different band. Definitely awesome but losing him and replacing him with Newsted was not the lateral move that losing Mustaine and replacing him with Hammett was. It would have made sense to change the name for the AJFA release IMO.

It is laughable that Skid Row continues under that name without Sebastian Bach. They're good players but it's a great cover band, not Skid Row.

I don't have a problem with Phil and Rex getting Zakk and Charlie and going out to play the music. Billing themselves as Pantera is as ridiculous as it was to have Phil Collins sitting in for John Bonham and billing it as Led Zeppelin.

I'd argue that Metallica without Cliff is a completely different band. Definitely awesome but losing him and replacing him with Newsted was not the lateral move that losing Mustaine and replacing him with Hammett was. It would have made sense to change the name for the AJFA release IMO.

It is laughable that Skid Row continues under that name without Sebastian Bach. They're good players but it's a great cover band, not Skid Row.

I don't have a problem with Phil and Rex getting Zakk and Charlie and going out to play the music. Billing themselves as Pantera is as ridiculous as it was to have Phil Collins sitting in for John Bonham and billing it as Led Zeppelin.

It’s semantics. Yeah they could’ve called it something else, but they’re Pantera members plus friends playing Pantera music. It's not misleading in any way because everyone knows Dime and Vinnie are no longer with us.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. However, it was their band. Pantera was Dime and Vinny. It is like Van Halen without Ed and Alex.

No…Pantera was Dime, Vinnie, Rex, and Phil. Give Pantera another vocalist and see if they would’ve gotten where they did. Phil is a huge part of the band. Either way it’s a bit of a pointless discussion because he has the right to use the name, so there is no reason he would call it something else especially since the point of the tour is to honor that music.

Last edited:

PhxdB

Zakk Wylde has the polar opposite style of Dimebag.

Zakk man-fists his guitar with a heavy and upfront attack. He literally picks every note, it's his thing.

Dimebag, on the other hand, admired the smooth legato of Van Halen. Zakk Wylde simply doesn't have the legato and smooth playing of Dimebag.

Dimebag was really something. No modern guitarists plays as smooth as Dimebag.

msquared

Digital Sheen
Platinum Supporting Member
Semantics don't matter when it's Pantera booting Terry Glaze and keeping the name once they got Phil Anselmo in the band. Semantics do matter when it's a band that very specifically didn't reform under that name until the guys who started it were dead.

I can see calling it "Pantera Revisited" or something but "Pantera opening for Metallica" is not what's really going on here. It doesn't matter that two of the original and very important guys are involved. Pantera wasn't those two guys plus a couple of ineffectual players who could have been replaced.

Mike J.

I think everybody in that line up wants to primarily carry on the torch. Of course the gigs will be highly attractive from a monetary point of view, but I’m sure that Dimebag and Vinnie would have been cool with Zakk and Charlie.

Here’s what I think after having seen a bunch of the just uploaded vids on YT. It’s my personal opinion (!)

1. Charlie, anlthough being a great drummer, seems to have difficulties in transporting the energy. Further, he had some timing issues. My favorite pick would have been Mike Portnoy

2. Zakk is perfect and his playing peaks. I think this style totally contributes to him in many ways.

3. Anselmo’s accuracy and stamina give me to think. Losing some weight and getting into it a bit more could help.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom