Parallel Delay help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dahn8, May 10, 2008.

1. dahn8

dahn8 Member

So... I'm planning to run a parallel delay setup for my rig. Unfortunately, running two amps is out of the question for now, so i need to wire things for one amp. I'm wondering if anybody has any good idea how to do this.

Would an ABY box would be a good way to split my signals for parallel delays? I'm planning either:

ABY -> delays -> Y cable to rejoin signal
    Y Cable able to split signal -> delays -> ABY (i suppose the ABY would be running "backwards" then?)

Are there any issues with this idea? Or do any of you have better alternatives / suggestions?

I'm planning to use a DD20 and DD7 btw.

2. zachman

zachman Senior Member

??? When you are running parallel you're just using the same mono source to feed the inputs of your delays simultaneously, BUT... usually you'd have the outputs going into a mixer which would sum the signal then you could feed that signal to your amps loop return OR you could take the signal from each delay to a stereo volume pedal and feed an A/B switcher then back to your amp's loop

3. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

couple of questions/thoughts

editted: just re-read your goal. different set of issues than I originally thought. this is still relevant to the discussion

along those lines, a passive ABY or splitter cable will cause some signal loss due to the extra load. Some sort of buffering system, be it another pedal or built into the ABY, will be needed to maintain signal strength. And then of course, the buffer is altering the signal .

joe

4. dahn8

dahn8 Member

hmm... i do plan on having a line6 tonecore pedal upstream of the signal split (right before the split in fact). I'm assuming that should be sufficient as a buffer?

What would happen when the split signals converge again? Would i experience some weird volume issues or anything of that sort?

5. dahn8

dahn8 Member

6. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

the first part of splitting the signal is easy...the dd20 can be set to a wet/dry output. send the dry signal from the dd20 into the dd7. now the problem is getting the signals back together. i did this with 2 dd20s. what i did was bought the little behringer micro mix mixer to bring the signals together. GGG has a mixer that you can build if you're too good to have the word behringer on your board. good luck!

Here's a link for the mixer I'm talking about, it's $20.00
    http://www.multiconnects.com/audio-video-cables/behringer/behringer-micromix-mx400

7. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

8. revelati0n

revelati0n Member

ayo, does the beringer mixer thing come with power supply? thanks.

9. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Yes it does.