Parallel loop/Blender/Mixer pedal: which one would you chose?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by augur, Jan 18, 2015.

1. augur

augur Member

Hi!

I would like to get back my direct-to-dry guitar tone.

What mostly change tone of my guitar, creating some hiss and is useless for me, are the preamps of my delays pedals (using their 100% wet abilities) :
    - Catalinbread Belle Epoch (I already have a Clinch Ep-Pre if I want a more subtle EP3 preamp)
    - Catalinbread Echorec (preamp is very subtle but create too much hiss for its use)
    - DMM Big Box (always on lush delay with slow modulation but its preamp seems to make me lose dynamics)
    and maybe for:
    - Neunaber Wet: love this reverb! its buffer is totally transparent except some people say you lose some dynamics (I have to make more tests to hear it)

I have 2 boards: 1 at my foot, 1 close to my amp
    What would you recommend? (a volume knob for each loop can be useful)
    - Suhr Minimix?
    - Lehle Parallel L?
    - Badger Schism?
    - Other?

Thanks by advance!

2. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

3. jenkka

jenkka Member

4. jackrockerman

jackrockerman Member

Badger Schism XV..

-the switches are great (no pop)
    -the new one is better switch (clickless)
    -burr brown chip
    - inv/norm toggle (phase switch)
    -mute /dry
    - 9v dc power

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. laneychris

laneychris Supporting Member

I use a a Xotic stereo X-blender to mix my Timeline and H9 in a wet/dry system and it works flawlessly.

6. Belmont

Belmont Member

zeez jaun

7. augur

augur Member

Badger seems to be a good option.

I would prefer a pedal with phase switch in case I'll use it with other pedals than my delays.
    Any other input ?

8. fahqicehole

fahqicehole Member

There are some downsides to be aware of with the typical blender pedals.

Since you are sweeping from 100% dry to 100% wet, as soon as you dial in some of the wet signal, you are losing some of your dry volume. At 50/50 dry/wet, you are getting 50% dry and 50% wet. This may not matter if the effect in the wet side can make up for that volume. But it can be tricky if you are always adjusting the blend and the wet effect doesn't have an output control.

The phase can also be a problem depending upon what type of effect you have in the loop.

The schism solves these issues by giving you your unadulterated clean signal with volume control and allowing you to mix in the wet volume separately, while also giving you the phase switch.

Take a look at the wounded paw effects blenders. They have a bunch of models with between 1 and 4 loops, phase control, tails control and some other cool features.

I have a super convoluted system using an old digital music corp system mix, rocktron rack interface, xotic x-blender, and mosquite expressio. It does the trick, but if I need to get something more pedalboard friendly, I'll be looking at the schism or wounded paw offerings. They are more mixer than blender.

9. augur

augur Member

Thanks for your comment.

I had a Mosquite blender and was not happy with because of what you mention: loss of volume when mixing dry/wet signals even with a phase switch.

I would prefer to have seperate volumes per channels (dry and wets) at condition it keeps my original signal totally transparent.

The Badger Shism seems to do the trick and is pedal friendly as you said.

10. augur

augur Member

Badger Schism is on the way!

11. augur

augur Member

Been using the Badger Schism for 2 weeks to put Echorec and Belle Epoch in parallel (I don't like how their preamp change my tone).
    It works as I wanted! I engage both pedals separatly without any volume or tone loss (it can even boost my signal).

However I'm a bit surprised how much hiss this pedal generate when on.
    And each channel is adding a summ of hiss (even with all knobs below 12 o'clock).
    It is not noticeable when I play hard, but for low volume playing radio hiss/signal is a bit disappointing.

Did you notice this also ?

12. 1198SP

1198SP Supporting Member

No hiss in my wounded paw blender at all.

13. augur

augur Member

Anyone compared Wounded Paw v1 VS Gigrig Wet Box?

14. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I also had bad results with a Mosquito blender. Was trying to add 'wet/dry' knob for an old chorus pedal and the volume loss was significant - didn't work for me.

15. fred_

fred_ Supporting Member

To augur: I have a Badger Schism and it does hiss a bit, but not as loudly as yours seems to. Have you e-mailed Robert at Badgereffects? He is really a good guy, and will prob. be able to help. It may have something to do with how your ret/dry toggles are set. If i remember correctly setting that particular loop toggle to "ret" may increase hiss a bit. I usu. have mine set to "dry"...

16. augur

augur Member

Hi fred!
    I use mine with "dry" setting. It's making hiss only when 1 of the channel is activated.

To gavinashun, I had also a Mosquite Blender some months ago which makes me realize you need a volume+blender control or you risk drop of volume.
    That's why I bought a Schism for my 2 delays, and am looking for another 1 channel blender for another delay.

17. fred_

fred_ Supporting Member

Augur, is yours a recent version? Just curious...

18. soundbee

soundbee Member

what about RJM Mini Line Mixer

19. augur

augur Member

fred, mine is a schism xv