Parallel wiring diagram for dual humbuckers please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scr@tchy, Nov 1, 2011.

1. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Hi, I have looked for a while and all I can find is with an added switch. I want to wire two humbuckers up for parallel only 2 vol. 2 tones and one 3 way switch, can anyone post a link to that diagram or just tell me how if it's easy?

2. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

3. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

I know nothing about wiring, but I did save these recently for use on a LP which is obviously 2xhb and a 3way switch. Hth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dr. Sardonicus

Dr. Sardonicus Member

When you say humbuckers in parallel do you mean both humbuckers in parallel with each other or do you want the two coils of the humbuckers to be permanently wired in parallel instead of series?

5. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

If you're looking to wire two humbuckers in parallel with each other just use any old wiring diagram you want. Wiring for multi pickup guitars is always in parallel unless stated otherwise. Doing anything else requires an added switch of some sort. Wiring a pup in parellel with itself requires 4(5) wires per pup and (a) switch/es.

6. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Go here:http://www.1728.org/guitar.htm

and look about half-way down the page. There's a generic diagram for permanent parallel wiring of humbuckers (without the switch). You'll need to know your color codes (assuming you have 4-wire pups).

7. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

To clarify, I mean each humbucker in parallel with itself. So when I go to the treble pickup alone it is in parallel, when I go to the rhythm pickup alone it is in parallel, and the in between is each self paralleled pickup together. Sorry I am real slow about all this, I am going to check the links now and see if they help.

8. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Also, I won't be using these pickups in series with them selves ever so I don't think I will need an extra switch

9. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I saw this and I really need it layed out much more straight forward. I have 490r and 498t Gibson pickups and I need to see the whole diagram so I can be taken by the hand a little better. Like exactly what comes off of what and goes onto which...

10. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

Are these after market Gibson pickups, or do they have just a single center wire with the braided shield around it?
    You need all 4 wires (plus shield usually) coming out of the pickup to make them parallel.

11. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Here is what my cavity looks like:

[​IMG]

12. ballhawk

13. ballhawk

Just to add something else from http://deaf-eddie.net/drawings/gibson-humbuckers.html

Available with chrome, gold or nickel covers, or with open coils, the 490R, 490T and 498T are also available with four conductor shielded wiring for series/parallel/split coil variations. Factory-installed 490R, 490T and 498T pickups have two conductor wiring.

14. Aoresteen

Aoresteen Member

Your pickups have a single hot wire and a ground. This is known as a 2 wire pickup. As others have said you need 4 wire pickups to wire a humbucker in parallel.

Options:

1. Pull the pick ups, send them to a shop who will remove the covers, break the coils apart, and add the 3rd & 4th leads, and solder in new leads, reasemble. Figure $100 each pup for this kind of work.

2. Replace the pickups with Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan/GFS/Lollar etc that come with 4 wire leads.

3. Do nothing and live with your guitar as is.

If you go to a single vol and a single tone control you will have two holes to deal with.

15. Dr. Sardonicus

Dr. Sardonicus Member

It looks like your pickups are the stock Gibson 2 conductor pickups. You won't be able to easily wire those in parallel without opening up the pickups and modifying them.

16. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Hey shoot, I have two conductor cables. I feel stupid but I learned about 70% about the wiring of a Les Paul today. Thanks for the info everyone.

17. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Understood. I was must going to do this because these pickups are just too hot wound for my tastes and I wanted to get a better sound out of them until I could afford something more up my alley. I obviously had very little experience with humbuckers but at least now I have a better handle on the plumbing, when I get some lower wound ones I won't need to bother with parallel.

18. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Why not get some humbucker size P90's? You'll get more testicular fortitude and have an easier job wiring it.

19. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to replace them with, but that's alright because cash is low right now. I'm thinking a Dimarzio EJ or Air Classic in the neck and some kind of hum canceling p90 type thing in the bridge.