1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Parallel wiring question for 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SexWithRobots, Jan 24, 2012.

1. SexWithRobots

SexWithRobots Member

I just got a 2x12 cab and there are 2 jacks on the back and between the 2 says parallel inputs. The cab ohm load says 8 ohms, so does that mean 2 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel and does it matter which input I use?

2. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Unless we are missing some info......
    You are correct. Most likely Two 16 Ohm speakers in parallel, for a total load of 8 Ohms.
    If the Two jacks are indeed wired parallel, then you can use either one to connect to your amp.
    Best

3. zenas

zenas Member

If it's parallel @ 8 ohms then thay are 16ohm speakers. Easy to check with a multi meter. The meter will read a little lower than the speaker impedance.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Of course it could be 2x 4Ω speakers wired in series. :) Sorry, I couldn't "resist" to comment on this "current" thread. :)

I'm afraid your handle conjures up a memory of a story involving a vehicle production line and some deviant employee.