Parallel Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SteveE9C6, Jan 21, 2006.

1. SteveE9C6

SteveE9C6 Member

I am putting a coupe of 16 ohm celestions in a Egnator cab to use with my TOL50 head.

All the diagrams I see, show each speakers positive and negative connection, connecting directly to the tip and ring respectively. Do they have to go directly to the tip/ring? Do you achieve the same thing by simply running a cable from tip to speaker one positive and then a cable from speaker one positive to speaker two positive? (And the same for the negative, except to ring)

The only reason this is an issue is that the speaker connector jack really doesn't have room to physically wire all four. (Well, maybe... but it sure would be a pain.)

If the above doesn't work, I'll have to just go to smaller wire.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Electrically, it's the same thing either way. Just make sure you use at least 18 guage wire.

3. SteveE9C6

SteveE9C6 Member

thanks guys.... I wired her up and she sounds pretty good.

4. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

GUYS,

I'm doing the same thing right now. The speakers have two soldering terminals each. on the jumper wire from speaker one to speaker two does it matter if the wires are soldered together on the same terminal or not?
    Thanks

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Now and audio purist would want to keep the lengths of wires the same to all drivers to ensure the current is distributed evenly. :) In your case you could parallel the 2 drivers together and connect the + of spkr 1 to the tip, and the - of spkr 2 to the ring. I'm almost ashamed to admit this is the way I do knowing full well the difference probably isn't even measureable. Too much time spent on hi-end hi-fi I guess.... :)

6. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

Donny,
    what do you mean? That the two wires jumping from spearker one to speaker two should be as long as the wire from speaker one to the jack?

Also does it matter if I solder or use the clips. (havent tried the soldering thing yet)

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Kdixon, no, I usually wire it such that the circuit between each speaker and the jack is the same length of wire. But I gotta admit this ain't gonna make much difference unless you are talking absurdly high power levels. The variances in each speaker are likely greater than the additional resistance of the wires anyway.

As for the solder vs crimp, I usually just crimp myself. Soldering is fine too. Both can make a reliable connection, or a terrible one if done improperly.