Parametric EQ for guitar? Help please.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by [J.K.], Oct 6, 2008.

1. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

I had a question concerning parametric EQs. I've been thinking about adding one in my lineup for awhile now, but I have no idea what to look for.
    I've been considering a blackface Orban 642B for awhile because it combines my most important criteria: a combination of reasonably good quality and price. Problem is, I never see 'em turn up anywhere. They seem pretty appealing, plus being able to link the channels seems like a pretty big plus in terms of versatility.
    Are there any other sleeper deals out there? I mean, there must be more supply than demand when it comes to the used Parametric EQ market, right? Like how a few years ago you could get Sunn amps and Sound City amps for a pocket full of lint, y'know?

Also, thought I intend on using it primarily on my Matamp to smooth out the edges so to speak, I was wondering how it would work on a Hiwatt DR103. I've never really screwed with rack gear much, so I don't know much about it. Would it flatten out to tone too much since it's a line level piece? I mean, old Hiwatts don't have a loop, so it would pretty much have to go in front of the amp, wouldn't it? Would that work? Also, if I tried boosting before it, would that mess up the signal as well?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you can try it of course, but the idea of line-level PA processing in front of a guitar amp is kinda icky to me.

carl martin makes a pedal parametric that might work better in front of an amp like that.

3. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

P.S. Anyone ever try out the Ashly PQX 572?
    Other than price, I'm worried about 3 other things:
    Much noise?
    Coloration?
    Headroom?

Anyone with much tone-sculpting experience of this sort?

4. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Yeah, I kinda figured that. I d'know if I really want to use a PQ pedal, but I'll keep it in mind.
    I would like a PQ for my Matamp's FX loop, though, because it's a great amp, but fine tuning would really put it on top of its game, I think.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've used the Carl Martin parametric for years, primarily for acoustics but it's a great do all. I've used it on my pedal board and it works very well in that app. Not sure how it woud work through an effects loop. VERY quiet, no coloration, built like a tank.

6. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Yeah, I need more parameters, though.
    I messed with my friend's Furman before, and it was okay, but I discovered a couple low-mid ranges I'd like to cut to clean up the fogginess. Then I'd like to boost the more biting mid frequencies, boost a little high end for presence (the Matamp is a touch dark), and use a hi-pass/lo-pass to cut the useless flab/fizz.

I mean, this is obviously idealism (coming from an anal retentive freak, no less), but it's something I'd like to experiment with more.

7. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I believe the G-major has a parametric EQ. I could be wrong.

8. WarofGhosts

WarofGhosts Member

9. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Heh, yeah, I considered that.
    Unfortunately they aren't in production...
    [​IMG]

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not aware of a lot of Parametrics for guitar. Boss built the Pq4 and BQ4? (not sure of the numbers) for guitar and bass. They were semi-parametric with freq and gain controls, but not Q. 3 band IIRC. Rocktron built some 1/2 rack ones that could be used with guitar, possibly into the front end of an amp (after some kind of buffer to bring the signal up to line level). Most of the other ones I've seen hav been studio directed. Sure, they're cheap (I have a nice DBX Project one I'd sell for $175, no power supply, in mint condition and I sold a Peavey for $50 several months ago with some wear).

11. kp8

kp8 Member

Dang that looks great. I wonder when it will be out and what the price will be.

12. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

See my e-mail to the manufacturer above:
    They aren't going to be made again.

13. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

the single rack space TC Electronic TC1144 Bass preamp and the identical TC1044 (IIRC) Instrument preamp are really nice.
    4 bands of parametric with a footswitchable EQ bypass and EQ match volume .
    I `ve tried it in the effects loop of my Lexicon 284 .,..nice !

14. kp8

kp8 Member

Yeah you were posting that while i posted my query.

That is unfortunate. It looks like a really really great & flexible EQ. Almost like what you would get in a software plug-in. I hope someone takes him up on making that box.

15. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Yep - probably never unless more forumites write to Tim.
    [​IMG]

16. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Yeah, but how did the 80s/90s metal guitar players (Dimebag, Stryper, and others) who swore by the Furman PQ-3 Parametric use their EQs? Plugged into the front, or in the effects loop?

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I'm ready for the MI Audio Parametric to come out.

18. kp8

kp8 Member

That would rule. I hope they are making one.

19. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Had to be in the loop or in the recording chain. Most likely in the recording chain. I've tried parametrics (Rane) in the loop of my amp and I found I didn't need that much control there. Of coarse, anything is possible. I did some recording for a pretty high budget project at a killer studio with a known engineer. All the guitars and the bass ran thru some old Pultec parametrics after the mics.

To the OP, I've found parametrics to not be all that desireable in a guitar amp setup. They can be cool for corrective EQ'ing but there is just way too much control and the possibility for things to sound "right" for some stuff but totally wrong for other stuff. In the end I found my amp and guitar controls are within all the EQ parameters I need. Recording is another issue and sometimes corrective EQ is needed for things to sit in the mix properly. Or in the case of Dimebag, extreme settings. The only use I can find with an EQ pedal is to use it as a solo boost.

Just my opinions, anything is possible.

20. TomK

TomK Member

The Ashly analog parametrics are still highly sought after. While definitely designed for pro PA / sound reinforcementa applications many of the Ashly parametrics found their way into bass and guitar rigs. You won't really have any issues with noise, headroom or coloration but remember that the 571 / 572 are line level and work best balanced so would be best used in the FX loop of an amp. I have had my hands on the 572 and it is very smooth and is great for notching out offending freq's or smoothing out response - just as it was designed.

Here is a link to Ashly where you can find manuals, cut sheets and spec's:
    http://www.ashly.com/retired/product/r-pqx-series.htm

For guitar - my favorite piece from Ashly is the DPX-200 - parametric EQ with a mic preamp and comp limiter - great for acoustics:
    http://www.ashly.com/retired/product/r-dpx-series.htm

Parts are still available for both pieces. (Yes - I am the National Sales Mgr for Ashly......)

I have had great success with the Raven Labs True Blue-EQ:
    http://www.raven-labs.com/pages/products/tbeq/tbeqom.html
    Alas, also out of production.....

I myself am using a Raven Labs USIP which is a preamp that includes the parametric section of the True Blue...I have used it with my POD and Line 6 Flex to smooth out the high freq response with good results.

I have also used the Carl Martin - it works great but I prefer parametric in the FX loop of the amp or even inserted at the console.