Parametric EQ

Maltese Fan

Hey guys, I'm looking for an inexpensive parametric EQ. Ideally I'd get another Boss PQ-50, but they seem to be pretty rare. How are the Rane PE-15 and PE-17? They are both 5 band para EQ's that seem like they'd work, if not too noisy.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The RANE PEQs are a bit noisier and grittier than the DBX 5 bands that I prefer. They were designed by Dave Orban, so good bones. If you want, there's ways to update them to world class status, but just out of the box they sound good.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Audio Arts 4100/4200 is a nice unit. Kind of the poor man's GML -- well, not really, but it is very musical. Unfortunately, people have figured this out and their prices have been going up over the last several years. You may still be able to find a single channel unit at your price point.

Dave M

Silver Supporting Member
I like how my Ashly PQX 571 sounds (not used on GTR), but the control layout is funky to me.

Kronos147

EQ-ing is high art.

With a parametric, you have three variables: Gain, Frequency and Bandwidth.

Frequency - this is the tone center of the EQ. Set the EQ to 440 Hz and boost and your 'A' (440 Hz) and the sound gets louder in comparison to the rest of the frequency range.

Gain - the amount of boost or cut of the Frequency

Bandwidth - how 'wide' or 'narrow' the gain or cut will affect. Bandwidth set to an octave, with the freq at 440 Hz will affect the range from about the E below the A to the E above the A.

Dialing it in: Learning to hear what it does can be done by exaggerating the effect. Turn the gain all the way up, and the bandwidth as narrow as it goes. Change the frequency. Find something ugly? Cut the gain, adjust the bandwidth to the point the ugly is good but the good isn't diminished. Find something good that needs to be louder? Back off the gain to taste and check that bandwidth again.

IMO, the 'high art' is more when you are doing the Pultec thing, and boosting and cutting the same frequency, with mostly different bandwidths creating an effect.

uraniumwilly

^ Yeah, I'm with you. The high art is how musical, how much precision (in how many applications does it add value) and you know, what character were the engineers pursuing vs what character did they produce? An Avalon 737 parametric is an astonishingly powerful eq/preamp. Compared to the TC Electronic 1140s eq/preamp, both are musical, but one of them is very high art.

Dave M

Silver Supporting Member
Furman made a three band and a four band that are good.

The Furmans I've tried all were very noisy. Not sure if the ones I tried were all defective in some manner, but I had the same bad impression of them.

audiomichael

Silver Supporting Member
A TC Electronic 1128 is a 28 band graphic eq, but it can be dialed in like a parametric EQ and the setting can be saved. It's a clean digital interface, and sounds GREAT. You can get one for less than $100. Digital controlled analog EQ.

kowalski440

Silver Supporting Member
The Furmans I've tried all were very noisy. Not sure if the ones I tried were all defective in some manner, but I had the same bad impression of them.

I had a PQ3 and it was one of the noisiest units I've ever played through.
The range was really wide and sounded great in high-gain applications but the hiss it created was bad. Really bad.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom