Pardon my ignorance but can a Kemper get feedback like a tube amp?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by C-4, Mar 11, 2015.

1. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have been searching youtube for some video that answers my question but I have not found any yet.

I play rock and blues, and have been thinking of getting a Kemper this year. However, does a Kemper allow it's player to get controlled feedback as a regular amp allows?

Thank you.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

I get feedback from my 100 watt solid state PRS amp, so i guess any amp can do the feedback thing, tube or not.

3. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Feedback is a function of physical interaction between your pickups and amplified signal. So a Kemper or really any device will do it given enough volume and close proximity to your amplification.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Thank you Will Chen. I am able to get nicely controlled feedback from my Diezel and Marshall amps, but I am unfamiliar with the Kemper's interaction with a loud guitar and controlled feedback, since it is so different of a beast.

5. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

I fired up my backpack rig ( zt lunchbox, RP360, ep booster) and a Brian May guitar in an industrial wherehouse yesterday at full tilt...excellent singing feedback with a cheap modeler and small amp. I'm certain something that's as advanced as a KPA would be radically fun to play loud.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  6. C-4

C-4 Member

Thank you Reverb Kick. :)

7. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I get great harmonic feedback out of the Axe-II, so I would imagine that the Kemper does it as well. The bonus is that the feedback character is identical to the tube amps and pedals modeled that I have experience with, so a Plexi with forward mids feeds back on certain freqs and a Boogie with the gain and treble cranked will hit other freqs with a different character. LOVE that!

8. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Yeah I am guessing as long as you can get your guitar, at volume, close to your monitors, you well get feedback. I use a guitar cab with my KPA so I get feedback easily when playing with the band.

9. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Here's an example. It's not meant to just show feedback, but you'll be able to notice that while the volume raises feedback increases as well (most noticeable toward the end of the video).

Sorry for the distortion, the sound pressure was too high in the room :\

10. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

IME for musical feedback, modelers tend to respond differently than analog tube/solid state amps. Most any amp will feed back if you put the guitar in front of the speaker, I am referring to when you are standing in front of the crowd and there is the sonic effect where the note you play wants to hang on and keep going, or shift up an octave. IME modelers tend to not do that as well as analog amps do.

Hopefully the high end modelers like the Kemper and Fractal units won't have this difference from analog amps.

11. Jan @ PP

Jan @ PP Member

Yup, same here. I gig with my Kemper and on stage it's almost the same to me as with a "real" amp. I'd even say it's a tiny bit more feedback (i.e. easier to get) but that's probably due my current main profile being fairly high gain compared to what I usually set on my amps.

And this happens just using stage monitors or both stage monitors and a cab (with a solid state power amp).

12. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Hey MKB, do you feel the feedback in the video I linked is any different from a real amp's one?

13. DwightX

DwightX Member

I'm terribly torn on whether to go with the Kemper or Fractal.

I know any rig can give feedback the old fashioned way...but I want to control it at my command and at zero volume like SamHill demonstrates on the AXE in this thread.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1528578

Does anyone know if it is possible to set the Kemper up to do this?

14. db9091

db9091 Member

Yeah, you can get everything you expect. Feedback. Acoustic guitars ringing in sympathy. Walls shaking. **** falling off your shelves. Ear damage. Applause. etc.

15. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

A guitar pickup is nothing more than a microphone, thus the same interaction with the speaker in terms of attaining feedback. A mic/pickup and speaker are two sides of the same coin, very similar in "basic" design.

16. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

I get it out of the Pod HD when i want it, and can control it pretty well.

17. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

My understanding of the physics of sound is relatively limited... but my understanding is that feedback is fundamentally an interaction between the speaker and the guitar's pick up. Increased sustain from the guitar, an effect, or the amplification stage can and will make it easier to achieve.

There are notes on my guitars... with certain speakers that trigger feedback more easily. One of the things that I do during a sound check is to verify those notes.

Ted Nugent was reported to use hollow and semi hollow bodies specifically because they were optimal for achieving the effect... and during his sound check would walk around the stage to find the exact locations that were optimal for feedback, and he'd tape an X on the floor so he could get there at the right time in a song.

18. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Of course you can. Put an od/dist/boost stomp in your rig with a good amount of gain on it and when its time to get feedback, just hit the switch. You can do it on whisper-quiet volume if you want.

On a side note regarding this I read a cool thing about Slash during the Use Your Illusion recordings.
    He hates headphones so he records his parts in the control room. Only problem with that is getting good, controlled feedback as he is not close to the amp. The engineer solved it by splitting the signal; one side going to his recording amp and the other side going to a volume pedal that was hooked up to a small-but-gainy practice amp that was mounted on a stand right beside Slash. That way he stood right next to it and he stepped on the pedal whenever he wanted some feedback. Worked great apparently.

19. Don Petersen

Don Petersen Member

it's actually the speaker (the air that the speaker moves) exciting the strings of the guitar, thereby forming a feedback loop.

if a pickup feeds back, it's microphonic, and that's the really bad, squealing kind.

OP's question has already been answered, but still:
    yes, absolutely.
    it's all about volume.
    distortion (essentially strong compression/limiting) helps quite a bit.

20. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

Any chance to get that feedback when going directly from the Kemper into the DAW for recording?
    I can't seem to obtain it even with higher gain profiles....