"Parked Wah" Sound

Gearhead

How do you get the wah type sound when you park a wah pedal halfway? (M. Schenker). Is it a band pass filter?

godotzilla

If you mean that sound when you engage the wah and then set the treadle at the midway point--well, that's how you get that sound (which is also a part of the original Boston album's guitar sounds).

If you want something that's a little more stable, Dunlop makes a Crybaby pedal that is essentially a small effects box with a bypass switch and a knob to control the sweep of the potentiometer. You can set it for the exact point in the wah sweep that you like and turn it on and off via the switch. Pretty cool.

Or get a Turner Model 1 (the Lindsay Buckingham guitar) - it has active pickups and a mid knob that lets you get that from the guitar itself. My favorite part when I borrowed one once.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not sure that you can get exactly the same sound with a parametric EQ, you'd need at least two overlapping bands so you could do a lowpass filter with one, and gain with the other. Be interesting to try. You can do exactly this with the Mooger-Fooger Low Pass Filter. If you want the whole thing cheap and easy, pull the guts out of a $50 used Crybaby and mount it in a Bud box...

MrSage

Originally posted by erksin
A good tone control on your guitar works too...
Hmm...

It wouldn't sound like a parked wah, though. It would just roll off trebles...a wah does a bit more than that to your tone.

I just made this for someone:

http://tinypic.com/9k18gw.jpg

It's literally a Crybaby circuit board housed in a pedal enclosure. Sounds just like a fixed wah.

:D

MrSage

Originally posted by drbob1
If you want the whole thing cheap and easy, pull the guts out of a $50 used Crybaby and mount it in a Bud box...
Exactly.

:)

(and then sell me your empty Crybaby shell)

TBoneDeluxe

Sounds like the old Boss Spectrum pedal! But those are pretty rare...and demand a lot on the used market.

The Dunlop pedal is supposed to be similar, but I haven't heard one yet.

TBD

cuz/karl

Silver Supporting Member
I had the Keeley Yellow YeeHAa ,the early version of the Nova Wah.It was realy cool but had to sell it.

I'll be making my own to replace it until the cheaper Nova's come out.

Randy

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW - Schenker used 2 wahs. One like a normal wah pedal, and on the other he removed the rack, then adjusted the pot by hand until he found the sweet spot he liked. Then when he kicked on the wah it was always in that spot with no sweep.

I always wondered how he got his pedal in the perfect position every time and you never heard the sweep up or down as he was hunting around for it - now I know.

jonny guitar

The Foxrox Zim allows you to get a parked wah sound (as well as tons of other great tones). Zim uses phases cancellation on its adjustable channel and when it is set to extreme settings it sounds just like the wah.

jokerjkny

Originally posted by jonny guitar
The Foxrox Zim allows you to get a parked wah sound (as well as tons of other great tones). Zim uses phases cancellation on its adjustable channel and when it is set to extreme settings it sounds just like thewah.
:dude

and schenker's parked wah sound?

jonny guitar

Originally posted by jokerjkny

and schenker's parked wah sound?

I haven't tried to cop it but I can't see why not. I am listening to MSG's Let Sleeping Dogs Lie and the solo around 2:20 sounds like a cocked wah and I would say that I can pretty close to it with only the Zim. Shoot Dave Fox an email and ask him what he thinks.

Moe45673

the simplest thing to do would be to just put your wah in your line selector, and use that to "turn on and off" your wah

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
Originally posted by Randy
FWIW - Schenker used 2 wahs. One like a normal wah pedal, and on the other he removed the rack, then adjusted the pot by hand until he found the sweet spot he liked. Then when he kicked on the wah it was always in that spot with no sweep.

I always wondered how he got his pedal in the perfect position every time and you never heard the sweep up or down as he was hunting around for it - now I know.
Ah, thanks I learned something!,,, and that makes sense.....lo tech solution, and still fools the onlookers.....

and Yes the Nova Wah will do this all night long until the lights go out in London ;)

Trending Topics