Parker Fly Mojo!!??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Feb 2, 2008.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Played one for my first time at a fellow TGP'ers house and was really impressed. Really well made, versatile, and just plain fun to play (the light weight may have something to do with that). The real clincher is when he ran the piezo through an acoustic amp and the 'buckers through his Vox, and did a medley of riffs from Tommy...sounded so good.

Anyway, I'm intrigued, but would like to hear some opinions from this learned bunch here, good, bad, or indifferent. BTW, never dreamed I'd like one of these much....just goes to show ya. Thanks, AC

2. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

great guitars... I've wanted one for a while...:D

3. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Well Flys are all I will play anymore and that might be a down side for you. I have 6 now and a Fly bass so they are as bad as PRSs so thats another down side. Crap switches in the guitars built since 2003. Those are about the only negatives I can think of. I just love the way they play. And if the sound doesn't light your fire there are mods that can help you. You are not restricted just takes a bit more effort. Check out the Parker Forum they are brutally honest you'll be surprised. http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/default.asp

4. tj1004

tj1004 Member

I have a pre-Washburn Fly Classic. Its one of my favorites. I havent had a chance to play the new ones, I couldnt see myself liking the JB bridge pickup in the Mojos, just doesnt seem like it would sound right; but hey, maybe it does. The necks are freakin awesome and I can get some fantastic tones from mine. They are so unlike other guitars playability wise, they play so effortlessly and almost take time to get used to it. If Im playing my Strat, then pick up the Fly, it makes me wonder why I still own a Strat. Anyways, I would recommend one. Oh, and I love the looks as well.

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

I love flys, im just like 908 i cant play much anymore. I have my customshop coming in a week or so

6. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aside from my archtops and Klein flattop, my Parker Flys are all I play. I am up to five right now, and a loaner of a Deluxe proto. INCREDIBLE GUITARS. Once I got hooked, I sold my 1968 Les Paul Custom. I have a lovely 2002 PRS Hollowbody II for sale. It's Parker Fly's all the way.

Bob

7. 908SSP

908SSP Member

2006 Mojo in dusty black.
    [​IMG]

8. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

I have owned a Mojo and that was a great rock guitar! Also owned 2 Artists, a Deluxe Single 2, a Bronze, and a Custom Shop. All amazing guitars!

9. drod2045

drod2045 Member

theyre gorgeous axe's but i couldnt get comfy with the necks :(

10. nsriley

nsriley Member

I was able to play a great older Fly Classic last week before I had to ship it on to a buddy. I was super impressed! The neck was the fastest easiest to play neck I've ever played. Very articulate sounding guitar. If I had the cash I'd buy one. You can play just about any type of music on it and sound right.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Here is an unusual model they made for a limited time. It was called a Stealth or Hardtail. Made from basswood both neck and body so it is even lighter than normal for Fly. Came with a hardtail bridge and a drop D tuner for the low E. The sound is big and the bass tight. I run a thicker than typical string size and tune to D or D#. The finish is not flat and smooth like a normal finish it is smooth and polished but bumpy. The neck is less bumpy and feels great.

[​IMG]

12. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

I know that 908SSP has a preference for certain size necks and he has a nice collection of Fly's. The neck sizes seem to vary a bit so there might be one out there with a neck size you would like!

13. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I have an early Classic Fly and love it. My only complaint is
    IMHO the pick ups are a little on the weak side, then again
    I am used to PRS HFS pups.

Not to derail a thread but, anyone have any suggestions for
    Fly pups and who would even make pups that fit in a Fly?
    I believe DiMarzio makes some pups that fit in a Fly, any
    others?

14. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

You can always buy used or order new Dimarzio pickups for the Fly. You probably have the first generation pickups. You could try the second generations. High Order custom winds pickups for a Fly and so does Pete Biloft of Vintage Vibe Guitars. Pete will wind whatever you want.. custom humbucker, p-90, etc.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The necks are more Traditional on the Nitefly versions for those
    who can't jive with the Fly's necks ...

This baby has been really reating me right lately:

[​IMG]

16. PFCG

PFCG Member

I just got a call today from Riks music and sound in Knoxville TN today and my custom shop was there. He was putting the satin finish on the back. It should be here next week for sure.

17. BBAKE1

BBAKE1 Member

Had a Mojo and a Nitefly M. The upper horn on the standard Parker's jab me. The Nitefly M was far more comfortable. The necks are awesome though.

18. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I make Hybrid pickups combining 1st the 2nd generation DiMarzios to create a more vintage sounding but fatter sounding pickup. They are more powerful then the 1st gen and slightly less then 2nd gen. The Alnico V version is the more vintage and Ceramic version is more aggressive with terrific harmonics. I also do a version one for the Mojo with Duncans they really make a huge improvement in my opinion over the stock JB and Jazz more vintage sound and way better clean with a much more open tone.

[​IMG]

19. HHB

HHB Member

is Riks the Parker hookup? I'm in Knoxville alot and have never stopped in, the guitar Joeseph posted looks really cool for gigging

20. PFCG

PFCG Member

riks is indeed the parker hookup, tell them pat sent you! im sure he will be really nice to you!