Parker Flys?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JoeinLA, Aug 4, 2006.

1. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

I don't EVER see any posts about these. Any reason why people don't seem to play these (or is it as obvious as: they don't sound good).

Just curious what people's thoughts were on these.

2. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

actually, they are pretty decent guitars, they just lack a certain 'vintage' sensibility. I just heard somebody yesterday, ripping it up on one of the less expensive models, through a Fender Super-sonic amp. It sounded real damn good, and of course the player makes the difference, too.

Give it time, say another 10 years or so. Once they've been around long enough, they'll start to gain a certain verve of their own. The entry level models that they are putting out now will make it easier for the beginners to pick them up, those kids will go on to the upscale models, and some will be popular entertainers, and fans will want the guitars. The circle of life will roll on.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

I have a parker fly and its my number one guitar. and its not that its my most expencive guitar either. i have a prs and a 10k alembic custom guitar and my parker still is the best thing ive ever owned. it simply cannot be beat. im gunna get another from thier custom shop. all flamed koa with wrc darkbursts and no piezo. just a coil tap a pu selector and a concentric knob for tone and volume. maybee gold hardware and a headstock veneer! who knows what will happen, maybe some abalone even! but seriously the best axe ever made!

4. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I had a Nitefly. Swamp Ash body with the bolt on neck. It played great and had a wonderful ergonomic design, but the tone wasn't right for me.

5. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The top horn can bruise your rib cage unless you have a spare tire.

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I had a 1999 Parker Fly Deluxe in Italian Plum. It was nice but I outgrew it when I got into Strats. It was too steril for me after I began to really learn about what I liked tone-wise. I sold it 2 years ago.

7. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have 2 one in blue and one in green, both play great and sounds very good. I might sell one to finance other things but these are very versatil great guitars with a lot of design improvements. One of the things that people complains is the upper horn that seems to get in the rib cage on some people otherwise these are one of the easiest guitars to play.

8. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I've owned 3. I had a supreme and 2 hardtail deluxes. All pre-Korg originals. Great guitars, the hardtails have ridiculous sustain.

The Supreme was my main axe for a while (3 years) then I got a Tyler and it just crushed the Parker (to my ears) tonally.

I've spent a lot of time & $$$'s making my Tyler as "fast" as the Parkers I've had.

I flipped all of them though. I wouldn't have gotten rid of the last one but all of a sudden the neck just freaked on me and even though I did everything to alleviate the problem it was never even close to being the same anymore so I sold it.

9. onemind

onemind Member

My Deluxe is a keeper, the neck is great, fast and smooth, I can take it out of the gig bag after months of not playing and it's right in tune. I agree a bit about the top horn being uncomfortable to sit with (by jabbing you in the ribs) but the light weight makes it a nice guitar to play standing.

10. lukeness

lukeness Member

I remember I swore to my brother that I will own one, one day....

That was when "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was out. Steinbergers and Parkers... hate the way they look now.

Saw a guy ripping it up with one at a gig... sounded great! 'Just looked silly.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I love mine. Sold nearly everything else, nothing else plays as well, sounds as good or looks better.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I've had one for about 10 years now, they are definitely among the best playing guitars ever made. After playing a Parker a Strat just feels so wrong.

But, they are definitely not for the vintage guys. Great for the forward thinkers, but the vintage folks turn their nose up at them :)

13. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

I think of my Parker Artist as a tool more than any of my other guitars. The piezo/magnetics split in stereo to PA/amp make it indispensible for the bands I play in that need some 'acoustic.' I've tried to replace it many times with a Taylor T-5, Chet Atkins, regular acoustic, but it remains as one of the 2 guitars I always take to a gig. What it does, it does VERY well, IMO.

Gary

14. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I'd consider myself a forward thinker when it comes to guitars, but I sold the 2 Fly's I had. Other than the fabulous necks, they weren't ergonomic (ie. the upper horn poked me in the ribs :D), and they didn't sound all that good to me. I got a Hamer Diablo for around $400 that sounded better than my Parker Fly Mojo (eletrically; obviously the Fly also had Piezo sounds) and was more comfortable for me to play. Still, I'd definitely recommend trying them out to anyone. If you like it, you'll have a great-looking guitar that can pretty much do it all.

-Austin

15. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I had a '96 or '97 Fly Deluxe, that I got used in '02 after wanting one for years. I liked the ergonomics & looks, but I couldn't get a tone that I liked. As someone else said, it always sounded sterile to me. I hate the description -- what the hell does "sterile" mean? -- but that's what it sounded like. Not that it was super-clean, but that it lacked a certain something that made the tone distinctive. For that reason, it took effects really, really well, but straight in it didn't sound as good as just about any other guitar I owned at the time (Hamer, Strat, Reverends.) If I could have changed the pickups, I think it would have improved it immensely, as the guitar was resonant as hell, and the piezo was good -- the magnetics just didn't cut it for me.

16. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I have a NightFly Mojo in the states and a NightFly-M in Thailand.

What I like about them is they are so light, and the neck is so pure they almost play themselves. That and the clean tone and peizo system. Very nice. And I have no problem with the horn.

What I don't like about tthem is they do lack any distinctive tone. I don't even know how to explain it. But if I play my Thorn or Custom Shop strat there are harmonics and sounds outside the actual notess being played that add to the music. The Parker doesn't seem to go there.

Might be I could add different pups and get that vitage tone. But he cleans are so nice I just play it as is and enjoy what it is good at.

17. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

They are nice guitars. I really just prefer something a little more traditional in construction. I like carved top guitars.

18. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

No carve here :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

owned a parker deluxe with a gk-2a installed. great "controller" guitar for the roland 13 pin gear.

neck was super fast, but i prefer more rounded shapes. i didn't get poked in the ribs standing up, but sitting it didn't feel so comfy and vibey. then again, nothing feels like a full acoustic rattling your chest.

great build quality with no issues. some brilliant innovations in many areas. stainless frets have their own unique feel, and the trem was great to use (locking, and the back-of-body pseudo-b-bender) my biggest frustration was customising it, didn't like the pickups and dimarzio hadn't released the aftermarket pickups at the time. not terribly easy to work with.

haven't tried the new ones, not where I'm at right now

joe