Parker Stereo Cable replacement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bickertfan, Dec 2, 2005.

1. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I use a Parker Nitefly which I bought used and came without the Parker Stereo cable. I have purchased a stereo cable from the local music store which I have been using for the last few years. Last night I plugged in to a regular a George L's cable and found a signifigant improvement in sound quality. Has anyone else out there had problems sourcing quality replacement cables for these guitars? Is the original cable that comes with these guitars a high quality cable? Am I correct in assuming that you can use a stereo breakout adapter for these - then I could run 1 George L's for my electric sound and 1 George L's for my piezo sound? Any insight appreciated.

2. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Evidence Audio makes great TRS (stereo) cables. I use one all the time for my piezo-equipped electrics. Excellent sounding cables (very clear and transparent), and Tony is very customer service oriented.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I made a small Hammond box stereo in two mono outs. I run a decent quality 1/4 to 1/4 stereo jack cable to the box and GLs from there to my amps. The cable that came with my Nitefly was a very cheap Hosa cable not the best quality. The cable that came with my Fly is better but not as convenient as my setup.

4. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Thanks for the quick reply Ron. It sounds like what I'm looking for. I have sent and email query to EA.

5. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Alex - Thanks - I won't be searching for a used Parker Nitefly cable if they are of poor quality.

6. TomK

TomK Member

I also built a stereo break-out box for use with my Melancon P90 Artist with built in Piezo. I use either a Carver or a Quantum "stereo" TRS to TRS cable to the break-out and then GL from there. I also built in a buffer for the mag pick-ups and a switching circuit for use with my standard "mono" electric guitars.

7. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Thanks Tom K I did not plan on having to build a box to solve this, but a high end stereo to 2 mono cable is expensive (pushing $200). The box sound relatively simple. A stereo plug, 2 mono plugs and some wire?

8. TomK

TomK Member

In its simplest form, yes. If you do a search there is probably a schematic and parts list somewhere. I think that for one of the outputs you will want to use a plastic body jack to minimize ground loops - but that might not be necessary. I used all plastic (Neutrik) jacks for mine because I had them laying around.

You can also use an Ernie Ball stereo volume / pan pedal - the B input will accept a TRS input. I actually use my breakout box to feed an EB volume / pan pedal. I like controlling the piezo / mag balance with my foot.

9. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Cool suggestion - I will look into that volume pedal may be a simple solution. I run my Piezo line into a direct box with a ground lift, without the ground lift I have had unbearable hum which I am assuming was a ground loop.

10. DavidE

DavidE Member

I run my piezoed electrics into a Fishman Powerblend. Stereo cable in. Magnetic ouput just sends the signal from the regular pickups to the pedalboard. The piezo signal goes through the fishman preamp for tone tweaking if desired and there's a volume pedal built in for the piezo. XLR out, 1/4" out, ground lift...etc... it's all there.

11. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Hi

I think Ernie Ball has a breakout box with a TRS in and two mono outs. (Several of their guitar models have piezo systems in them now.) LR Baggs has a stereo cable that splits into two mono plugs at one end. You could check if Lava or another custom cable builder could just make you a short Y-cable with a 1/4" TRS for the guitar and two female 1/4" mono jacks for your cables.

jz

12. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I have a Les Paul with a piezo bridge and have been using a planet waves stereo cable into a hammond box that I built that splits the two signals. If the cable goes bad they will send you a new one...

13. TomK

TomK Member

If you already have the box with ground lift then give the EB volume / pan a try. Good luck!

14. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Thanks to everybody for all the replies. I have ordered a Mobius Megatar premium stereo cable from an ebay seller for $30 + shipping. I will update after I receive it, given the fact it is just about the only premium stereo 1/4" to 2 mono 1/4" cable on the market. The volume pedal would seem to be the next step if that is unsuccessful but is much more expensive and my pedalboard space is already maxxed...

15. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Ok - I have tried the Mobius Megatar (a search will find it in an ebay store) premium stereo cable and it performs very well. It has smallish moulded plastic ends but otherwise must be of high quality as advertised, because it definately sounds better than the one I purchased at my local music store.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Or, since a Nitefly is not exactly a handmade collector, just add a second jack plate and run your piezo signal (after the selector switch) to the second jack. Then you can run completely separate cables for the piezo and the mag pickups...