Parker, UGH!!! *shakes fist*

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by visualrocker69, Oct 21, 2008.

1. visualrocker69

visualrocker69 Member

Any Parker fans?

I'm really considering making the switch, have been for years. As much of I LOVE my PRS Custom 24 and its beautiful cherry sunburst quilt, it really kinda lacks personality... while Parkers definately have that edgy, progressive feel to them, all the character in the WORLD.

Only problem is... the TOPS. Why the hell must one pay like $4000 to even approach getting a decent top? I mean, it's all fine for someone who's satisfied with solid colours, but that just ain't my thing. I'd LOVE one of those buginga tops but, god, those are like 5 grand.

Anyone else feeling my frustration? :/

2. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

No, not a Parker fan. I played one once, and promptly put it down.

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I did the same thing...Played it for a few minutes, put it down, and walked away. One of the most tonally flat, lifeless guitars I've ever tried.

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I think Parker's lack personality...

I don't get them at all.

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

People that like vintage guitars or play blues licks all the time generally dont like parkers because they dont feel like the guitars they are used to. The necks are thin, the bodies are thin, the fretboards are flat, and there are different contours to everything. I think they have their own cool sound which is awesome though and the curves of their bodies are gorgeous.

6. TGF

TGF Member

Coming from someone who had a mexio strat when my buddy had a parker, I have to concur with the above people. The parker for me was nothing else than a dull toy guitar. I didn't play any vintage or really good strats before I tried it, I had my mexico and that was that - I still thought it was a boring and sterile guitar. And it looked like ****.

7. stuagu

stuagu Member

im a gibson kind of guy but i tried a parker my mate had & the neck was terrific, i did think though that even though the guitar shape is different, it did lack personality & the same goes for prs,s, played a great one but wouldnt want to put it round my neck for a gig. theyre not rock n rawl baby!

& mary kelly was the last of 5 unfortunates

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

One of the most resonant guitars there ,I love them .They do take a little time to get used too for the traditionalists.

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes and I prefer my Ford over that Ferrari.:rotflmao

10. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

They are definately their own thing.
    I've had several but the one i have now is unreal.....but it's kind of an od ball one.
    It's a hardtail mahogany Classic with factory Duncans.
    It sounds like the best SG you've ever heard and as an artist I think the sculptural lines are beautiful, but then again so are a Teles. I love 'em all

11. digitalkettle

digitalkettle Member

I've got to stick up for Parker...I've had a mid-range Nitefly-M since 2003...ergonomically superior to any thing I've ever had my mitts on. Lots of sounds...lots of nice hardware touches...rock solid...and a trem you can swing on all night (with no locking BS). A posh top doesn't quite seem to fit with the whole ethos...it's got what it needs to do what it does!

I've recently acquired a Suhr Modern so things have changed a bit ;-)

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I personally love the look of Parkers, but honestly speaking I too find that they lack tone. But than again, most of us if not all, have probably grown accustomed to the tones of either an LP or a Strat, it's hard to reprogram new tones and ideas.

I love what Ken Parker is doing, at least some one out there is pushing the envelope instead of countlessly re-releasing vintage recreations. :D

13. shred4Him

shred4Him Member

I am on the Parker bandwagon. I have tried tons of guitars since getting my Parker almost 9 years ago. Many have come and gone. There have been a few than were purchased with the intent of replacing the Parker, but that has always failed. Guitars are such a personal thing. There are way too many times a player has raved about a particular guitar and I thought it was a dog.

The only thing you can do is play what you love and leave the rest alone. I will never be a Les Paul guy. I have tried to love them, but I always end up hating them. Some people say Parkers are lifeless and toy-like. I pick up a Paul and think it is clumsy, dull, and muddy. I pick up a tele and think it is awkward, clangy and piercing. I pick up a strat and think that it needs new pickups and some changes to the neck, but it is very close.

Ultimately, just get what you love and let the rest take care of itself.

14. rah3

rah3 Member

It's sad to see the Parker looked down on. They are a fine tool for the toolbox. I've owned 2, and still own one, a Fly Deluxe. They have their own voice(s). Pretty versatile. I like the longer scale length. Rudy in NYC hipped me to the Ernie Ball pan pedal/Parker combo. Stereo cable out of the Parker into the Pan pedal out jacks with the amp cable out of the A input jack. Pedal back its all magnetic, pedal forward it's piezo. Great way to blend piezo in on the fly.

-RAH3

15. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I love the body design (other than the upper horn, seems to poke me in the sternum a bit) and the neck/fretboard profiles are great. They feel and play awesome, but the tone IMO is the only piece that is lacking. I've owned a half dozen different Parker models and haven't seemed to find one that suited me. I think it would be much nicer if they worked in a way (maybe rear-loaded?) so that you could fit standard sized pickups into the routes. I know some models you can get stock with Duncans which is cool but I don't like the look of pickup rings on the face of the guitar. The only real option there is to have the stock pickups rewound by a guy like Bare Knuckle or Wolfetone etc. but that limits what you can get and that is one of the things that kills Parker guitars for me anymore. :( I love everything about them except that and the upper horn. :D

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I have to agree with alot of others in this thread... I had a USA made NiteFly back in the late '90s and I thought it played GREAT! However, it was the worst sounding guitar I've ever owned. Sounded like a toy. My daughter's $150 Epiphone SG honestly sounded ALOT better.

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of Parkers over the years and, while I thought they were interesting, their tone ultimately left me flat...but the neck action was probably the best I've ever played. Like Rickenbackers, I think Parkers are one of those guitars that just has to find the right player. Some people like green, some like blue...so it goes in life ;).

18. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I owned a Parker Fly Deluxe and a NiteFly for a couple years back before they were sold off to whoever owns them now and puts those cheap switches in the Flys... :NUTS Anyway, I used a lot of rack processing back then and I really liked the Fly when run through the rack, but it never got as much play time as the Ibanez Jems I was playing back then. The NiteFly was cool, with a 3-single coils S-type setup and the piezo. I much prefered the NiteFly's tone to that of the Fly straight into an amp, and the NiteFly was definitely more resonant. The necks on both were something else - playing on those stainless steel frets was like running your hand over ballbearings... Man, they were smooth! I ultimately ended up trading the Fly Deluxe for another Jem (they weren't worth as much on the used market in those days) and about a year later I swapped the NiteFly for a Japanese Gretsch (I still regret doing that)... I could see how they could be for someone - I'd love to try another NiteFly someday, but you don't see many of them around here...

19. MOJO

MOJO Member

i always found the Parker's horn extremely uncomfortable ( particularly when sitting ) always jabbing me in the ribs

20. mg550

mg550 Supporting Member

I've owned 6 Parkers over the years. I currently have a Fly Deluxe and a Fly Supreme. It's another tool in the arsenal. It's an extremely versatile guitar that can cover any sound I need it to, including acoustic. It plays unlike anything else I've ever had my hands on. It's almost effortless.

All that and it's a beautifully designed, innovative, wonderfully crafted instrument. What's not to like? No, it doesn't have the mojo of a Strat or LP, but it does things that they can't. That's why I keep them around.