Parlor Guitars

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by BigDoug1053, Aug 20, 2008.

1. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I am looking at a getting a parlor guitar - wider neck, slot head. But I am not interested in spending a lot of dough. I see Washburn has a reissue that looks pretty good - an old girlfriend had an old one and it was sweet. Any experience with the Washburn (made in Indonesia or China?) or any of the imports parlors?

Thanks!

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Doug, how much coin?

If you don't have to have the slot head, you can buy a (used) Larrivee Parlor like the P-01 or the like for around $400.00.

They are incredible guitars (and under valued IMHO). All solid woods too. I saw a couple on eBay within the past week too.

I can't imagine anything that Washburn puts its name on being bad. They are great guitars too.

Not alot of builders still doing the Parlor thing....but I love mine (Larrivee P-09 Brazilian).

Good luck with whatever you get!!!

3. BigDoug1053

Thanks Scott - $400-$800 is the range I would like to keep to. I will check out the P-01 - I have heard really good things about the Larrivees... The tough part is finding a parlor of any kind in a local store, as I would prefer to play first.
    :BEER

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

if 800 is the top, look local in craigslist - on occassion a genuine pre-40's parlor will pop up that will suit you in that price range, built the old fashioned way in the USA. go check it out tho, since obviously it's old, may need work done.

5. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Doug, you can certainly find a used Larrivee Parlor for that coin. It won't be a P-09....but something like.....

This from Jim at Trinity...he's a luthier...and his stuff is superb. The beauty of this one is that it is an 05 series with a SA Mahogany top (which is hard to find at best). He's got it listed at $865.00 but I bet he'd come off of it.

Good luck.

EDITED TO ADD:

Here are the specs for the P-05. You can ADD money for the hog top. The maple binding is sublime. The arch top case is OVER THE TOP nice.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Here's my P-09 Brazilian:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck Doug.....you'll find something!!!

7. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

Another parlor without the slotted head is the Seagull Grand.
    It's a great little guitar.

8. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Doug, since that Larrivee P-05MT was a bit out of your range, I bought it.

:BEER

9. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

I love my Larrivee Parlour :)

10. BigDoug1053

Good for you Scott, but now I feel like I contributed to your guitar jones.
    ;)

11. Chi

Chi Member

YOu can also try getting your hands on an old Bruno Parlor, I have an old circa 1930 Bruno Parlor w/ Brazilian back and sides that I got used. VERY comparable to vintage Martin quality and the wood sounds gorgeous...

12. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The old Larrivée parlors with the satin finish are GREAT!! It's my wife's main guitar, she put a D-Tar Wave Length pickup in it and takes it on the road everywhere. The pickup and Calton case cost more than the guitar did!

14. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I have a dreadnaught Larrivee and like it a lot. I've played a Larrivee parlor and liked that. I've seen a singer-songwriter-type from NY using one to front a band and spoke to him about it afterward. He was very happy with it. I'm not familiar with the Washburn but it looks real nice in the picture posted by stephenT.

-Scott

15. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Another nice one is the Crafter TA050. Solid top, mahogany back and sides, slotted head, 12th fret joint and well within your price range. Crafters have impressed the heck out of me.

But as someone said, you can still score a nice vintage Parlor like a Regal at reasonable prices still. A few years back I grabbed a 1920s Stromberg Voisinet for $5 at a flea market.

16. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Doug, an awesome hog top Larrivee Parlor just hit eBay. It's in your price range.

Just a heads up.

17. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Definately check the GAD F20 or M20 out, slightly larger than 00-size. Tremendous quality for the money and they even come in a version with onboard electronics.

18. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I have an older Cort parlour that I love. I've seen them for $400. or so. Fancy abalone inlay looks cool.I also like my Tacoma PM-20. The body is deeper than most but it looks small from the front. Nice wide neck.

19. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Doug, here is another Larrivee Parlor.....in your price range.