Part 2 of What do you think of this wiring job?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by GuitarInnovations, Dec 3, 2019.

1. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Here's another DR clone for sale. This one, to my untrained eye, does look a bit more neat than the last one, but you all are the experts. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Overachiever on the filament wire twisting. They fused the neutral AND added a hardwired 'death cap' from neutral to ground. Modern wiring places the fuse and power switch in series, and there is no need for the line to ground cap with a grounded chassis. Looks like the former ground switch is now a tone stack lift of some sort. personally, I don't care for all the ground buss wire running around in there; I'm not an OD guy either. Also, I would never wire the cathode bypass caps as he has done -- he wraps the resistor around the cap leads, then solders in the cap lead ends in the eyelets. This forces the next guy to throw away the resistors if the cathode bypass caps are ever changed again.

3. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

This is way over my head, but maybe you could answer a question for me. If the way the person did this was in order to make the amp sound exceptional, would the way he did it be acceptable?

4. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Not wiring the AC input power according to modern convention doesn't 'make the amp sound exceptional' in any way. Also, 'acceptable' is a relative term, dependent upon who you are asking. I'm pretty picky (got a soft spot for the BF Fender amps), so if you are asking me, the answer is no. Others might not have any issues with it. In general, this amp is closer than the first one was.

zenas and pdf64 like this.
  5. pdf64

pdf64 Member

The builder doesn’t seem to have grasped the fundamentals of electrical safety. It’s unfortunate that persons not competent to do so feel empowered to just go ahead and build stuff in that condition to sell to the unsuspecting consumer.

zenas likes this.
  6. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

So the way the power was wired isn't safe? Was it done that way in the original circuit?

7. pdf64

pdf64 Member

No the original amps weren’t built like that, but they didn't even have a safety ground for the chassis; is that what you want?
    If so I can see understand the viewpoint that the public need protecting from themselves.
    The builder has attempted a a halfway house between the original arrangement and a more modern arrangement without understanding what they’re doing / doing things properly.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  8. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

It depends upon the asking price - what is it?

9. crumb

crumb Member

I rated the last one at

- wiring quality/lead dress...acceptable, just like a real one, well almost.

- signal caps....acceptable

- iron quality...zero data

- sound of amp quality...zero data

I rate this one at

- wiring quality/lead dress - acceptable, just like a real one, well almost

- signal caps...don't buy it they're awful

- iron quality....zero data

- sound of amp quality....zero data

So based on the data provided, and the way you ditched that last one seemingly before even hearing the thing ( did you listen to it ?I'm too lazy to check what you wrote ) or considering what iron it had, I'd say you're buying an amp based not on what it sounds like/ whether you like the sound of it, but rather what other people think of the wiring job.
    Note fender wiring in that era, especially just after it, was shocking sometimes, but the amps sounded great.

those signal caps are the worst sounding caps to put in those amps, in my humble opinion, too full range, too bright, too much bottom.

zenas likes this.
  10. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

I think he did that because those modern Xicon carbon comps don't reach all the way to the eyelets for the cathode resistor spots.

Or at least use the polyester 225P or similar, rather than the gigantic polypropylene 715P ODs.

zenas and Jeff Gehring like this.
  11. Pete Cage

Pete Cage Member

Yet another reason to use something else!

zenas, HotBluePlates and Jeff Gehring like this.
  12. zenas

zenas Member

That heater wiring is over wound but I've seen worse. One kit amp a guy was having issues with ( thankfully online!) it looked like he was on a mission to get all the wire that came in the kit crammed into the thing.
    And he did it !
    Probably burned out 3 or 4 drills winding all up. :rotflmao

HotBluePlates likes this.