Part # for DL-4 PC mounted switches?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mincer, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mincer

Mincer Member

Anyone have a part number for the little PC mounted button switches on a Line6 DL4? The standard Line6 answer is 'take it to a service center'.

I have replaced mine before, a few years ago, and for the life of me, I don't remember where I ordered from...thanks in advance!

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

IIRC, they're the same as the ones used in Ibanez 9 series pedals, so you should be able to get them from Steve at Small Bear - here's a link to the switches in question. Mouser probably has them too, but I can't find the exact part #.

/Andreas

3. Mincer

Mincer Member

Ahh, these look slightly different, from what I remember- the DL4 switches are pretty flat on top. This might not matter, and they may be interchangeable. If any one who has more knowledge about this stuff than me (and had replaced the switches on a DL4) can take a look at this part, please let me know your opinion.

4. hunkowood

hunkowood Member

PM Mr Huge he used to work for Line 6.

Hunk

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Well, the DL-4 I repaired had those exact switches :D

But... the actuator spring is larger than the one in a 9 series Ibanez, so a switch with just a flat surface might work just as well (and might be what Line 6 used in a different batch of pedals than the one I repaired was from).

/Andreas

6. WarofGhosts

WarofGhosts Member

The link I posted above should be correct for any of the models from the last few years as far as i know.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It looks like it should work, yes. I don't know how old the DL-4 I repaired was - maybe Line 6 used the other type earlier. I think both types would fit, though - the actuator spring should fit right over the raised section. But if you can find the exact replacement, go for it.

/Andreas

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Not to hijack the thread but how do you get the blasted knobs off the DL-4!?? Seems like pulling won't do it or do I need to be more aggressive?

Thanks!

9. Mincer

Mincer Member

The spring does not fit over the raised section at all. The solution is to either cut the spring, or cut off at least some of the raised section. My DL4 was from one of the first years, so I am not sure if parts had changed or not. My switches are just a flat surface, not raised. It looks like the same switch otherwise.

So, what do you think, should I cut the spring or the switch (I bought extra switches). If the newer DL4s indeed use these switches, my guess is that it is a shorter spring.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

That's really weird... the DL-4 I had on the bench a couple of years ago had quite large springs (much bigger diameter than the raised center section on the switches), and all four switches were the exact same type as used for the Ibanez 9-series pedals. I can't say if that pedal was newer or older than yours (it had the old/original Line 6 logo, though), but I simply assumed the switch actuators/springs in your pedal were the same. Apparently not so.

If you already bought the switches, try modifying one to match the ones already in there. An X-acto or Stanley knife might come in handy, or possibly a pair of sharp-ish pliers. Failing that, go for the DigiKey link WarofGhosts provided, as those switches seems to better match the ones in your pedal.

/Andreas

11. Mincer

Mincer Member

yeah, i figure either cutting or grinding down the raised section is the way to go. those springs in there are smaller diameter than pen springs, and i'd rather not modify them- i have more switches than springs!!

12. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

Im not saying that wont work, but it is nit the exact replacement. Ive seen them before but ill have to look around and try to find them again.

You could also shoot an email to small bear. They are very helpful and quick to respond.

13. Mincer

Mincer Member

Small Bear is where I got mine. I will work on it today and report back.

14. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

Im glad you said that because I swore thats where i found them before. I dont see them in the stock list though.

15. WarofGhosts

WarofGhosts Member

16. Mincer

Mincer Member

I actually used the part from Small Bear. The springs don't fit over the raised part, so I used a wire cutter to snip off the extra plastic. It leaves a small raised area, but that doesn't affect the operation of the switch. My switches are installed (along with the bright blue LEDs I ordered) so my DL-4 is back working again.

I will start another thread about the pots for the main knobs though...the shafts are seriously wobbly inside their housing. All of them, except the 'delay type' knob.