Partial volume loss from speaker possible?

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
My main cab is a 2x12 with one Eminence Man-o-War and one Eminence Texas Heat. Similar sensitivity (101.6 vs 100.2 dB). 230 watts total power handling. I've been playing this cabinet for several years.

Recently went to play, quietly at home, and noticed the sound now seems shifted away from the center, toward the Man-o-war. It's definitely louder than the Texas Heat now.

Is it possible to damage a speaker mildly, so it shows a reduction in volume but no other ill effects? I hear no rubbing, distortion or fizz.

elijah

As mentioned alnicos can lose magnetism when dropped or impacted, as well other ways.
A ceramic magnet doesn't do that, however anything is possible.
Double check the mounting bolts. They don't have to be extremely tight, but if they are loose, j it can definitely affect volume and tone.
There also could be something with the volume level you were playing at, that is magnifying some anomaly.
The efficiency rating is only @1watt. It doesn't necessarily apply linear to the whole power range the speaker is capable of.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Sure its not your ears? Seriously. A while back listening to my stereo I noticed the left speaker was always louder even though I was perfectly centered. Took a while (after I realized every stereo's left speaker was louder) that I figured out it was my right ear at fault! Probably due to guitar playing and always having my right ear towards the amp! eek! Bob

Try this:

Detach the good speaker. If you have a db meter or software on you phone, take a reading and see if it is indeed giving you less output as compared to the other speaker.

If the result is yes, then try this...With the volume very low, play the "bad speaker" in a variety of ways and see if you notice any weird" Mechanical" noise, especially rubbing..Also look at the back of the speaker and palm mute the guitar, striking the strings percussively at a few volume levels.I want you to watch the speaker and see if the excursion ( the distance the cone travels) Seems to be limited or too loose in any way.

I would also like you to check the impedance with a multi meter. If it's way off, you have a voice coil issue.

Good luck

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Recently went to play, quietly at home, and noticed the sound now seems shifted away from the center, toward the Man-o-war. It's definitely louder than the Texas Heat now.
Turn it up.
Your hearing will compensate/flatten out and the sensitivity and efficiency peaks of the freq response will level out.
If they don't, then look for a problem.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
I appreciate all the comments. I opened the back and made sure connections were tight, and speakers are firmly seated.

Played at a variety of volumes. Everything sounds good. Probably just my imagination that the "image" was centered between the two speakers in the first place.

Trending Topics