Partially coil splitting an SD Jazz

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by grooveht, Mar 4, 2015.

1. grooveht

grooveht Member

So I'm looking at converting my HSS strat to HSH, and I was thinking about using a JB, an SSL-1 in the middle, and a Jazz Neck. To me, the Jazz is too low output to split to just one coil in the neck + middle position, and I was thinking of partially splitting it by putting a resistor between the red and white and the ground point, in effect only sending some of the signal to ground and keeping some of the "split" coil still in series with the active coil, keeping more output and making the split sound more full. The question is, what value resistor do I use? Resistance is not a great metric for pickups, but SD lists the resistance as 7.72k for the neck model.

2. karma1

karma1 Member

I have a Duncan Jazz in the neck of one of my guitars. I wanted some tonal variety but instead of splitting it, I wired it for series/parallel switching with a push-pull knob. Sounds great in both positions and is still quiet (no single coil hum).

3. cardinal

cardinal Member

You could put a pot on it instead of a fixed resistor. Something like 1 meg might to high enough not to impact the coil when turned full up but can start shunting the pickup to ground as you start rolling it off.

Another option is to look for pickups with heavily mismatched coils (lots of Dimarzios, some Duncans I think). That way, you split to the more powerful coil and it keeps more output.

4. grooveht

grooveht Member

Thanks for the input guys! I was looking at the Jazz primarily because it was originally used with 250-300k pots, how it matches with the JB, and also because I have one ;) The parallel/series and spin-a-split ideas are pretty darn good, just wanted to test the concept of a partial split using a resistor; if I have room for an extra pot though, I may just do that.

5. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

I have a Jazz in the neck of a superstrat and have both P/u's set to split with a pull of the volume knob.
    It does in output, but still sounds good and usable split